Mach 1 or 2004 Cobra

OregonMustang

May 18, 2004
Newberg,OR
Hi all!

I was wondering what I should move up too. A Mach 1 or a Cobra? I currently have a 1999 GT and well....need more power like big time. I'm afraid that the mold from which my gentle colt was cast from is just not going to give me the perma-grin I seek from it's 2V origins.

Please help me decided.

With the Mach 1 I get the nice 4V setup w/o the eaton. But it's a little less then the cobra. Is the cobra that much superior? :nice:

I realize that the cobra has IRS and it makes 390hp..heheheh...but it's about 8K more then your average Mach1 is it realy worth that much more?

• Sponsors (?)

i'd mach it, i test drove both, and yeah the cobra is alot more powerful, but the mach looks like a mach, really high on the cool factor to have. plus, a friend of mine has a 03 cobra and long rides is uncomfortable, dont know why, just is, seats arent to great i guess. where as the mach was very confortable, love it. and i the mach has that shaker scoop(dont want to sound like a looks guy, but come on, shaker!). the only reason i didnt get the mach is because i decided not to trade in my 92 so i just went with the GT.
here is a link to the MM&FF run of all three of these cars, in the end they say they liked the mach 1 alot better too.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/features/0404mm_must/
but if all out power is what you want go with the cobra....

No way brother it's not all about power!

Yeah the cobras just look nasty.

What is the stock power on the Mach1 I heard it's about 10hp less then the 05 Mustang GT's. But then again it's a 4V and the new GT's are 3V ...but the new GT has killer suspension. But the Cobra has IRS I think the new 05 has double.

Ahhahahahahhah

Great article! I think I may be Mach 1'ng it...if I don't wait for the 2005. The new suspension is what I would really like and the 20% stiffer frame...nice....

I'm not sold on the engine however. The 3V is an interesting idea. :shrug:

The Mach 1 has some nice factory incentives...as does the Cobra (2,500 and 3,000) respectively. What would be a buy price on one other then retail 28K

Once you step on the gas in a Cobra your mind will be made up ! Also if you are into mods it's extremely easy to get major hp gains (70hp, 100ftlb) from a Cobra. Make sure you drive both before you decide, the price of a Cobra should be around 30K right now.

The Mach is quick, but the response to cheap mods is awesome in the Cobra (< $500 and I'm 400+rwhp). IMO, the Cobra's seats are damn comfortable and there is never a shortage of random compliments either. :)

Never rode in a Mach though, so I'm biased.

i just test drove both yesterday because i too am in the same position as you. Well almost, i know that i want the cobra. The cobra was way cooler. The seats look awsome, body is way more sleak. The 03 cobra is so fun to drive and listen to the supercharger whine. The car is fast and like said above-500 $ and you have around 400rwhp. NICEEEEEEEEEEEEE
:D :D :D

I say it all the time with this question ....boils down to the IRS.

Machs can be made to go fast but they come with the traditional solid rear.
Cobras are fast and deceptively so from the factory with the quirky IRS.

Toss up .... if finances aren't an issue, test drive both and pay close attention tofeel.

I get loads of compliments from old and new car guys. Last night I was at a car cruise and there were 3 or 4 cobra's in the lot (95, 97, 99 and mine 03). People looked with respect at the ones from the 90's and started to do the same to mine then they looked twice under the raised hood and noticed the big silver device sitting on top of my engine...."oh that comes from the factory like that?". Then when I started it and it was silent compared to the older cars until i pulled out and steped on it....can't beat going sideways in 2nd gear with the S/C whining like kid that broke his toy.... The hoots and hollers yesterday from the old car guys brought one of the biggest smiles to my face. :flag:

The Mach is a classic icon but you can't beat being blown :owned: .

IMO if you're seriously considering a Cobra and can afford the payments and the other monetary obligations that go with it (insurance, gas, etc) then by all means go for it.

My position was looking at a Mach1 but ended up with a GT, I fell in love with the color and the stock subwoofers ;)

If money is not an issue you MUST go with the cobra. It is a no brainer. The Mach is nice, don't get me wrong, but as someone stated earlier they are not in the same ballpark. As far as looks go, the cobra is a much sleeker looking car, where the Mach has more of the GT look to it, minus the shaker.
I don't care for the different color wing or shaker myself, just my personal preference. :nonono:

OregonMustang said:
Please help me decided.

With the Mach 1 I get the nice 4V setup w/o the eaton. But it's a little less then the cobra. Is the cobra that much superior? :nice:

I realize that the cobra has IRS and it makes 390hp..heheheh...but it's about 8K more then your average Mach1 is it realy worth that much more?
I'll give my opinions on this subject. I own a 2003 Cobra. I hang out on a weekly basis with Mach 1 and other Cobra owners. So I know quite a bit about both cars.

When comparing these two cars, a few things should be addressed. Some things may or may not pertain to you depending on what you want the car for.

Solid Axle vs. IRS-- Since I own a 03 Cobra I know what the IRS is like. And since I used to own a 2000 GT, I also know what a solid axle feels like. For the drag strip, solid axle wins. But for normal everyday driving, the IRS wins hands down. I can take turns now with the IRS, way faster than I could with the solid axle. The rear end stays planted on the ground when I hit bumps.....a very good thing when you hit a bump in a turn. The down side to the IRS, and everyone probably knows this, is wheel hop. It is pretty much impossible to nail the gas pedal from a stop (with stock tires) and expect to go anywhere. With my stock tires I experienced very bad wheel hop. It eventually led to a broken halfshaft (about a $250 part). Launching on an IRS is very diffucult because of this reason. I evetually got new tires and rims. And luckily 90% of my wheel hop is gone. So tires play a major role with wheel hop.

Price-- Obviously money is a factor for alot of people. 04 Cobra's can be bought now for about $30,000 after rebats. And used 03 Cobra's I have seen for sale for as low as $25,000. Not quite sure what you can get a Mach 1 for right now. But I'd venture a guess and say atleast $26,000.

Modding Ability-- The Cobra wins here hands down. With only a catback and CAI I dyno'd at 422 rwhp and 391 trq. Stock, Cobra's will dyno between 360-385 rwhp. With your basic upgrades like exhaust, intake, smaller pulley and chip/tune, you are looking at atleast 450 rwhp. A buddy of mine has a 03 Mach 1 with all of the bolt on's and dyno'd at 335 rwhp....very impressive if you ask me.

1/4 Track-- Here is where the solid axle helps out the Mach 1. Stock Mach's run mid to low 13's....usually about a 13.3. My buddy with the 03 Mach I mentioned above ran a best of 12.7 on DR's. Stock Cobra's will run anywhere between 12.5-13.4. Cobra times depend alot on the driver.....because of launching on IRS.

Road Course-- Cobra wins. More power and IRS.

Interior-- Obviously this will vary depending on certain tastes. But I perosnally like the Cobra interior alot better than that of the Mach. I like the Cobra guages better and I like the Cobra seats better. I used to like the Mach seats. But I guess after getting used to mine, I now hate the Mach seats. I sat in my buddies Mach and couldn't stand them....they felt so "flat". And I find the Mach guage cluster difficult to see. The numbers are too close together.

Exterior-- Same as interior, looks are subjective. Personally, I don't care too much for the Mach 1 looks. The hood scoop does nothing for me, I don't care for the strip going down the side of the car, I don't like the black wing, and the rims aren't the greatest. But at the same time, the Cobra is somewhat "bland". Smoother lines and not as outlandish as the Mach. Perfect example of the smoothness is the Cobra side rockers. Although it seems like alot of people like them.

Few other things to consider...........

Cobra has a 6 speed transmission
Corba has forged internals (HUGE plus in my book)
If you really want a solid axle, then swap out your IRS on the Cobra with a solid axle....it's not a big deal
Supercharger whine
It's a Cobra

Obviously the last two things above don't matter to much. But the better all around car is the Cobra, I think we can all agree on that. But don't think the Mach 1 isn't a good car, because it is. It's just not "me".

Hope I helped somewhat.

2_Machs_and_Cobra.jpg

Attachments

• 2_Machs_and_Cobra.jpg
    2_Machs_and_Cobra.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 136
I sold my Mach 1 2003 for a Cobra 2004... It's the best move, I make! Not because the Mach 1 is a bad car... No way! It's become a fun street car racer hauting 911 S4, and basic Corvette.

The Cobra is more like a supercar chasing the big boy's more like 911 Turbo, Modena, Z06, Viper and else... It's an other class! Supercar class...

I think, if you can afford the big brother price... Go for it! If not, Mach 1 is the one...

Both worth the buck! Depending of your checking account...

OregonMustang said:
Hi all!

I was wondering what I should move up too. A Mach 1 or a Cobra? I currently have a 1999 GT and well....need more power like big time. I'm afraid that the mold from which my gentle colt was cast from is just not going to give me the perma-grin I seek from it's 2V origins.

Please help me decided.

So what kind of car put the whoop ass on ya? Sounds like your tired of getting beet.