MAF SENSOR INTAKE QUESTION

tims 86

Apr 19, 2009
pittsburgh,pa
im doing the mass air conversion on my 87 gt, i got a ecu from advanced auto, now im trying to decide which maf sensor i want.. if i get a 70mm from a 94-95 mustang.and the adaptor. what air intake do i want? i was looking at the bbk but not sure which one to get.

• Sponsors (?)

If you plan on modding the car in the future consider the dbx meter, may also want to acquire a stock mass air meter at first to make sure the car runs right before trying another.

My car ran lean(17:1) from about 2500-4000rpms with the 94-95 Maf on a dyno with a wideband setup. I put the stock one back on and it went back to 12-13:1. Everyone on here says they work fine but it definitely hurt my afr. Now I have a quarterhorse and have the Maf transfer table fixed to use the 94-95 meter..just somthin to think about. I haven't heard of anyone blowing up a motor because of it, but I didn't want to be the first..

My car ran lean(17:1) from about 2500-4000rpms with the 94-95 Maf on a dyno with a wideband setup. I put the stock one back on and it went back to 12-13:1. Everyone on here says they work fine but it definitely hurt my afr. Now I have a quarterhorse and have the Maf transfer table fixed to use the 94-95 meter..just somthin to think about. I haven't heard of anyone blowing up a motor because of it, but I didn't want to be the first..
There was something wrong with the meter then...???

Where did you get it?
What was the part number on the sensor?
Do you still have it?
Can you post a pic?

The 94-95 MAF meter is configured to put out the same voltage per kg/hr of airflow as what the stock Fox meter is configured for.
There is NO reason why it wouldn't work... other than something was wrong somewhere...

jason

I have done this in EEC analyzer.. They may have the same number up to a point but the 94-95 goes higher on the scale, where the stock one stops. My thinking is if you have a larger opening 70mm instead of 55mm your going to get more air.if the transfer is the same with both the air fuel ratio should be higher on the 70mm unit because it's getting more air and the same fuel mixture. That may not be right but it makes sense to me. Correct me if I am wrong please cause I don't like using bad information.

...My thinking is if you have a larger opening 70mm instead of 55mm your going to get more air.if the transfer is the same with both the air fuel ratio should be higher on the 70mm unit because it's getting more air and the same fuel mixture...
Not exactly...
The 55mm and 70mm housings use a different sensor part number, which is how Ford corrected for the size difference.
The voltage output for a given airflow should be the same for each meter.
And the Transfers in the ecu were pretty much the same...

You do raise an interesting point though with the 'ranges' of the meters not being the same...:shrug: Can you look at them again?

Where did you get it?
What was the part number on the sensor?
Do you still have it?
Can you post a pic?

I know it's the right sensor. That's the first thing I checked.. I will get the info tonight. The sensors first 4 digits are f2vf I'm pretty sure. I did double check it when I had this problem.