Magnaflow cat-back exhaust hangers broke

ncth282

Jul 17, 2006
I have a 2005 v6 mustang (manual), with a K&N CAI and I just bought and installed the magnaflow dual cat-back exhuast kit part #16605. I installed the kit with my step dad who has been doing car exhausts since he was a kid. We installed the system using the stock hangers like the directions show you too, I cut a hole on the otherside of the bumper to match the other side, and we installed the system exactly how it was ment to, The muffler tips sit just below the bottom edge of the bumper, they don't go through the cutouts. After about a month and a half of the exhaust being on, the hanger on the passenger side muffler broke off leving the muffler basically hanging, but not draging. The weld didn't even break, the hanger actually broke right off ripping a peice of the thin muffler body metal with it. I rigged it up with heavy duty wire (my welder doesn;t weld stainless well, I tried). I contacted magnaflow, and disputed the warrantee with them for weeks before it was settled that I would pay for a new kit, install th new muffler and ship the kit and the old broken muffler back and be credited back for the kit price. I have not yet done that, but now the other muffler hanger is ripping off the muffler just as the other did. Has anyone had or heard of this problem with this system? I'm debating whether to consider this a defect and replace them under warantee or maybe I should get my money back and go with a flowmaster or borla system. It seems stupid to weld the hangers to the weak muffler body metal instead of directly to the thicker pipe.

• Sponsors (?)

I love the sound of the magnaflow system, and it seems to yeild a decent power gain as well. I haven't seen a full catback system from flowmaster or borla for the 2005 v6. Anyone know of another cat-back kit for the 05-07 v6 stang that sounds nice and can be installed without cutting/welding like the magnaflow system? I'm considering just getting new mufflers under warantee, I already soprted it out with americanmuscle.com where i bought the system, I just have to order a new kit, put the new mufflers on and send the old ones back, and they will credit me back for the price of the new kit. I'm almost considering getting my money back and sticking with the stock single exhaust. I don't know whether this is a defect with my magnaflow system or its a common problem and the hangers were just welded in a weak spot and the design is flawed.