Magnaflow exhaust...

Trefty

Aug 13, 2004
I'm thinking about buying this cat-back, http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=American&id=287, but I'm still undecided. What is everyone's opinions on Magnaflow? Do they make a quality product? I don't want anything too loud or with a drone, but I'm after that low, grumbly tone. I'm also going to be installing Bassani equal lengths and eventually either an off-road H or X pipe. Any suggestions on what cat-back I should buy? Any help is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for the heads-up, but if I do go Magnaflow I've already found a dealer where I can get it for cheaper and it's a lot closer to home(I live in Canada). They don't make Magnapacks for fox bodies do they?

I like mine. They gave me two different hangers for the tailpipes though. It made it a pain to line the two pipes up the same. I ended up cutting them and welding them to make them the right size.

Sounds good though

I ran FRPP shorties, BBK O/R X and a Magnaflow catback on my 93 GT and it sounded great. At idle and if you kept your foot off the throttle it wasn't too loud but when you really got on it the exhaust came alive. I was very happy with the way it sounded and no real drone that I could hear.

Thanks for the heads-up, but if I do go Magnaflow I've already found a dealer where I can get it for cheaper and it's a lot closer to home(I live in Canada). They don't make Magnapacks for fox bodies do they?
Wow, if they sell for less than we do, they are violating Magnaflow's dealer purchase policy. Be careful.

Wow, if they sell for less than we do, they are violating Magnaflow's dealer purchase policy. Be careful.

Does selling the product for less than MSRP void the warranty? I'm able to get it for under $500 canadian.

Does anyone have any sound clips of their cars? I'm stuck between Magnaflow and SLP right now, waiting on a price quote from them. Anyone know where in Canada I can get an SLP Loudmouth catback?

magnaflo is excellent.

i like it because it sounds good but it doesnt get on your nerves due to a drone. its all stainless so it will last aswell. i got mine and a bbk catted H and a set of bbk ceramic headers and will now always buy magnaflow

I like my my Magnaflows but nobody should actually believe they are stainless steel.They have some rust and i don't drive my car in the winter.

I have a magnaflow catback and its great. It is stainless steel, I drive my car year round and there is not a spec of rust on any part of it, magnaflow also sells aluminized steel systems so maybe thats what you got Topdowncruise.

Here is a sound clip of my car. Yes I know the tail lights dim, there was a loose connection that is now fixed.

View attachment 413085

These are the polished "stainless steel" tips.
100_2147.jpg

Attachments

• 100_2147.jpg
    100_2147.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 66
Well, I guess its a good thing they are hard to see from the outside, sucks though because magnaflow's stuff is not cheap. You are the first person I have heard of who has had a problem like that. Have you contacted them about it? My pipes and mufflers look the same as they did the day I bought them albeit alot dirtier.

I've had a Magnaflow cat back on my Cobra for over 3 years and there's not a bit of rust on it. Some grades of SS will rust (like the stock headers) but yours should not. Call Magnaflow!

Well, I guess its a good thing they are hard to see from the outside, sucks though because magnaflow's stuff is not cheap. You are the first person I have heard of who has had a problem like that. Have you contacted them about it? My pipes and mufflers look the same as they did the day I bought them albeit alot dirtier.

I contacted Magnaflow and they said that was normal.When I changed to my Cobra bumper in the spring I had to change the tips anyway so I cut off the last 20" or so and replaced them with "real" stainless steel tips:no more rusting so far.The rest of the pipes should be ok for many years and they aren't visible but i do feel I was mislead by Magnaflow.