Manual trans from fairmont futura in 66 mustang?

kirbyalaska

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2002
SUX
Has anyone swapped a 3ps with OD man trans from a ford fairmont futura into a classic? I'm just curious how hard will it be to get linkages and mounting right. It is from a 6cyl.

• Sponsors (?)

if that trans is a top loader, then the swap is simple as it bolts in place, and the shift linkage is internal.

The earlier ones had external shift linkage similar to a common 64-73' toploader and can also use a typical 4 speed Hurst shifter. Not sure of how the shifter mounts.

Here is some good info on these trannys.

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/imposters.htm

One thing that is different is that the forward most lever of the shifter arm must face down instead of up like they normally are. That is because the OD gear is mounted in place of the normal 3rd gear in a common 64-73 toploader. The input shaft is now the 1:1 3rd gear. Weird but it works. Oh, be wary of using these trannys in a performance application as the OD gear is quite tiny.

Perhaps Barnstang will check in as he installed one that I rebuilt for him into a 66' Fairlane a year or so ago.

It's out of a "78 I think (I would have to double check) with a I-6 in it. It will be going behind a 289 with barely more than stock HP. Also, will the I-6 bell housing work?

I am pretty sure you will be happier holding out for a T5.
I have the 3+1 in my 68 with a hot rodded 289, and I don't like it......
Weird spacing on the gears, odd power band, just not as good as any 5 speed in todays world..

I am pretty sure you will be happier holding out for a T5.
I have the 3+1 in my 68 with a hot rodded 289, and I don't like it......
Weird spacing on the gears, odd power band, just not as good as any 5 speed in todays world..

Absolutely I would be happier, but my budget does not allow for that for now, and I would like to get this car on the road sooner than later. Plus this is a low mileage trans. I know it's not as good as a five speed or a toploader, but I am not building a hot engine, just building a cruiser with a slight bit of torq.

It's out of a "78 I think (I would have to double check) with a I-6 in it. It will be going behind a 289 with barely more than stock HP. Also, will the I-6 bell housing work?

Assuming you are talking about either a 170 or a 200ci motor, the bell housing will NOT bolt to a 289 block. You'll also need a SB V8 flywheel, clutch fork, and clutch assembly as they are different too.