Massive rear end noise solution

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Ok, I know I'm probably gonna hear it for doing this, but this seems to be the only solution that is working. So, that said here is what I did.

Some of you know that my car was under water before I bought it. ( Literally) This was a Katrina flood car. It shows evidence of that every where, ( The wire harness wrap has disentegrated, and there is/was mud in every hole, and inaccessible nook and cranny the car has. Most of that was dealt with in the build. However when it came to the rear end I never considered that there may have been water in there. It has always been a little noisy since I've owned it, so I finally got tired of it and decided to remove the rear cover and give it a look.

MUD! Well mud mixed in w/ gear oil.

I drained the sludge and cleaned it out best I could and filled it w/ new clean gear oil, and now the thing was noisy as hell! I looked for some kind of additive to "quieten" the thing down, but couldn't find jack!. That is until I went to a friends house and his dad told me about how they used to throw sawdust in the old gearboxes and rear ends of the 40's era cars to quieten them down because they used straight cut gears "back in the day". Two weeks ago I decided to try it for myself. I know it sounds crazy, but I figured that the wood would eventually become a pulp, and one of the byproducts of pine is....oil ( I mean there is an oily residue in pine sawdust) So, I'm thinking once it becomes pulverized by the ring and pinion, it can't be any more harmful than a piece of paper in there. I drained about a pint of gear oil and added about a cup of pine sawdust I got from the catch bag on my table saw. Sealed that baby up, and took it for a test drive.
WAY quieter! Problem was, it only lasted about 2 days before the noise started getting louder again. So, I figured if a little was good, I'd keep adding sawdust until I get nothing from the rear end except the mildest hum.
I won't go into detail, since the process of trial and error has had the rear end opened 3 additional times now, but suffice it to say that the ratio of sawdust to gear oil is now 90% wood, w/ 10% oil just to keep everything a little slippery in there. I mean I'm not THAT dumb to put straight wood in there.:rlaugh:

I got mixed feelings/ concerns as I report that I'm at about 300 miles now, post sawdust and the rear end hasn't made a noise yet. ( except for the clicking and ticking detailed a little later) The only thing I notice, ( and you'd have to tell me if you think it's a bad thing) is that I think I catch a whiff of wood smoke coming out from under the car every now and then. I knew that rear ends get hot, but not THAT hot. I mean it's not like there is internal combustion in there or anything. Now I'm afraid that my ratio of sawdust was too much sawdust, not enough gear oil. I got under the car after a drive last week end and the rear end was blazing hot! I can't even touch it w/ my hand! AND, it made this clicking and ticking noise like what metal makes as it cool down ( kinda like what exhaust does)
Somebody please tell me I didn't screw up a set of rear end gears:shrug:

Do you think I can use those little fans you see on Cobra kit car radiators to blow on the rear end? Or maybe I can build some sort of ducting to blow on it instead. I know NASCAR cars have some kind of rear end cooler, but I think the wood/oil mixture will probably be too thick to flow through any regular style cooler.

• Sponsors (?)

Remove the wood and add Styrofoam instead! Wood is a good insulator not a disapator sp? of heat. You may need to rebuild that rear end sooner then later!

Scott
Cant add styrofoam. (Can't stand the screechy noise when styrofoam rubs together) Besides, as hot as the rear is getting already, wouldn't styrofoam just melt into a big blob of fungoo?

Toothpaste!
What quieting properties are there in toothpaste? Granted, as obscure as using sawdust is, I've never heard of using that as an additive. How much do you think I'll have to use? I'll betcha one thing though, if I do decide to use it, I'm sure that it'll smell a hell of alot better than the burning wood smell that I'm getting from there now. Matter of fact, my rearend will smell so minty fresh, everybody will probably wanna get down there and smell it!
If that works, and you're not messing w/ me that is.:rlaugh:
Thanks for you're advice, so far, you're one of a few that has even bothered to offer any advice at all. I read your thread on the porting technique, and have to admit, I never thought of using sand in an intake to port heads before either.:nice:

Reactions: 1 user
NO,NO,NO!!! You're doing it wrong! Pack it with cotton balls... Haven't you ever heard the saying quiter than a mouse pissin' on cotton? Well there ya go....

EDIT: second choice- foam earplugs! they stop noise great!;)

NO,NO,NO!!! You're doing it wrong! Pack it with cotton balls... Haven't you ever heard the saying quiter than a mouse pissin' on cotton? Well there ya go....

EDIT: second choice- foam earplugs! they stop noise great!;)

Well, that might work. If you think about it, how much less abrasive is cotton compared to sawdust? I was thinking after 50 droptop responded about the possibility of combining the sawdust w/ toothpaste and completely eliminating the gear oil, but would'nt you know it,.....Turns out that there is a chemical in the toothpaste polylglycene 12 red that would've made mixing the two a disaster! PGC12 red is a catalyst put in toothpaste to keep it in gel (or paste) form. Combined w/ the pine sawdust iut would've ended up hardening the wood into a solid mass. Whew! Just what would not have needed, a minty hard board jamming up my rearend. :eek:

Fill the differential case with a product called ROCKITE.

I know it sounds ridiculous, with rocks being less than quiet when banded together etc. but this stuff is amazing! There's an additive in it that makes it cure extremely fast.

Mix it up thin enough to pour. Open up the top plug on your diff case and funnel this stuff in. Just fill it up to the level you normally would with gear oil. Leave the cap off overnight and in the morning, I can assure you, that your diff will not make noise anymore. :)

My uncle put sawdust in an engine that was rattling and knocking. Then traded the car in. It made it quiet long enough to trade it in. Lol

So tooth paste was no go. Hmm

Lapping compound will fix it.

If not you should put a Chevy rear end under it.