master cylinder upgrade and brake booster question

I was just thinking of changing the master cylinder and brake booster on my 1985 mustang. Everything on the braking system is stock but was just curious if I would benefit from switching the master cylinder and brake booster to a newer system?

• Sponsors (?)

IMO, since the master cylinder is designed to match the brakes, unless the master cylinder or booster has leaks, it would be best to leave them unless you do a brake upgrade.
New hoses, braided or stock, and higher friction coefficient pads and shoes next time something needs replaced would be the places to spend money with stock size brakes. And new brake fluid is cheap and a hood idea if you do not know how old it is.

IMO, since the master cylinder is designed to match the brakes, unless the master cylinder or booster has leaks, it would be best to leave them unless you do a brake upgrade.
New hoses, braided or stock, and higher friction coefficient pads and shoes next time something needs replaced would be the places to spend money with stock size brakes. And new brake fluid is cheap and a hood idea if you do not know how old it is.
Ive done all new rotors pads drums springs and fluid. The brake booster just doesn't hold vacuum that's why I was asking.

As others have said, the brakes are designed to work with a master cylinder of a particular bore diameter. If it's not working well, it's probably because it's 34 years old.

Kurt

Pick a brand you recognize like Bendix, Delco or Motorcraft. I'm sure there are other brands that more experienced motor heads here can recommend.
You did fine on the top brands. Bendix is #1 OEM quality. Raybestos would be the least expensive I’d want to trust to protect my car’s front end. They seem to have recovered from the asbestos lawsuits and are making good parts.

Reactions: 1 user
Cardone did the rebuilds for Ford.
M1 Car (is) Done (for) has a mixed history of quality control. There were many warranty returns on older parts last time I was behind a parts counter. We ended up bench testing all the starters and alternators before they went on the shelf because of sloppy work or shipping damage. It’s a better brand than many new budget lines, but it’s a budget line, not a premium quality remanufacturer.

I don't disagree that that. Just saying if you were to get a motorcraft part for a booster (which I don't think is even available anymore), it's a Cardone unit.

Reactions: 1 users
We may be in that “best available” part age for the cars. The good restoration catalogs used to sometimes say “This part is not an exact reproduction of the original, but is the best currently available. Ask for details.” so you were at least warned. (LMR snd CJ Pony are you listening to this good idea?)

And I remember these cars new on the lots. What happened???

Last edited:
They do the rebuilds for just about everyone. Doesn't matter what's on the box, Duralast, Brakebest, it's a damn Cardone.

Kurt
Kurt, you win for the best scary mostly true story in time for Halloween. :oops:
If you knew they were relabeling parts from certain factories overseas, it would be truly terrifying!

• Agree
Kurt, you win for the best scary mostly true story in time for Halloween. :oops:
If you knew they were relabeling parts from certain factories overseas, it would be truly terrifying!
I did the parts counter thing for awhile; damn near made it to District manager before I went back to flying airplanes. So let's get started on that. I never saw a Cardone starter or alternator in my life. That was almost entirely dominated by Worldwide and Standard Motor Products. A1 Cardone rebuilt almost the entire industry of hydraulics and window motors, etc. But they do almost all of it in Mexico, and the Rio Grande is not exactly a sea. In the old days, products from Mexico were substandard, but with all the :poo: coming in from China, Mexico has become the gold standard. Don't fear the Cardone; it's a little hit or miss, but generally pretty good. I wish Tru-Torque came back. Never had a single return on any of their products.

Kurt

I did the parts counter thing for awhile; damn near made it to District manager before I went back to flying airplanes. So let's get started on that. I never saw a Cardone starter or alternator in my life. That was almost entirely dominated by Worldwide and Standard Motor Products. A1 Cardone rebuilt almost the entire industry of hydraulics and window motors, etc. But they do almost all of it in Mexico, and the Rio Grande is not exactly a sea. In the old days, products from Mexico were substandard, but with all the :poo: coming in from China, Mexico has become the gold standard. Don't fear the Cardone; it's a little hit or miss, but generally pretty good. I wish Tru-Torque came back. Never had a single return on any of their products.

Kurt
What side order do you want with this can of worms entrée? Will it be tacos or fried rice?

• Haha
I am glad there are still some smaller, quality rebuilders around like Lee Power Steering and some local electric motor places for starters, generators and alternators.
GM and other corporations have had parts Honcho En Mexico for decades. It’s a lot closer to check on quality control than parts of Asia. So @jrichker, I’ll take tacos, rice and beans with the can of worms (can it be live gagh with a mug of raktajino?) if I cannot get it made in the US, Canada or Japan.

Last edited: