Matching numbers?

This may be a silly question but what is ment by matching numbers? I know it has to do with the way it came from the factory. How and what numbers do you match? I guess I need to see if mine match. I know my 65 289 C-code engine is suppose to be black but it is painted blue but everthing else is right. :shrug: Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Matching numbers means the car has the original factory components. For example, the engine components should have the proper casting codes, casting dates and assembly date stamp for the year and month of the car's assembly. This also applies to the ID tags. It is possible to find replacement parts prduced during the proper date range which would normally be the month prior to the car's assembly date as determined off the warranty tag.

For the earlier cars no, there will not be any numbers shared between the body and the components. I don't think that started until around 1968 where you would find a partial VIN on the engine block. In addition to the engine tag, there is a casting number on the side of the block above the starter. The heads will have numbers under the valve cover (date and displacement) and casting number on the engine side. The block will have an assembly date stamped on the driver's side front on the block's timing cover extension indicating when that particular engine was assembled..

Matching Numbers means the car has the original equipment from the factory. Many cars have a specific engine and tranny # recorded with the VIN. In an early Mustang this cannot be verified as the records were destroyed. So we use the casting # and the date code to see if they "match" the time the other parts were assembled. Best you can say is that the parts would have come on the car that way.
Here is an example of the engine casting #
80023d1254427417-289-engine-block-casting-numbers-img_2209.jpg

See the little date code above the casting #? There are many web sites with conversions. It reads Jan. 12, 1967.