max hp from a NA 5.0?

40th GT

Apr 7, 2004
Lawrenceville, GA
Hey guys, my name is James, and I just wanted to introduce myself since this is my first time posting on 5.0. (I know, 800+ posts and just one of which are on this forum..)
Things seem VERY laid back and comical around here compared to 4.6. I've never actually laughed while reading any of the posts over there. It's a whole new crowd over here for sure. My apologies if I posted this in the wrong section.

ANYWAY, I have a quick question for you. A guy with a notchback told me he's runnin 450whp without the spray. I didn't ask what exactly he had done to it, but there was no sign of other power adders (i.e. nitrous, turbo). He did say he has a big Lunati cam in it, which I could tell from the lope. So I'm just wondering if that's possible to do NA. If so, I'm very impressed because my engine would barely do 350whp NA. I guess 'no replacement for displacement' is true.

He was prolly full of crap. 5.0s are good little motors, but 450rwhp. I call BS. He'd have to have some serious heads and a HUGE cam.

If the engine was larger than 5.0L, then those numbers seem a bit more realistic. 25th's dad has a car that puts those numbers down NA

NO idea what his motor makes, but its a 351 based motor.

My friend has a pump gas, hydro roller, 352 (dart based) stroker with a carb and has been 10.41 @ 129. Probably a mid 400 to the tire car, NA, pump gas...

Been there, seen many examples of that.

The little I see and how they guy is coming across, he is full of bologna and pulling your chain.

Ask him what exactly he has done to it.

an old friend of mine recently went 10.51@132 on a 306 pump gas. Carbed motor, brodix heads I believe, custom cam, tremec trans, for the basics. Car weights about 3300 with driver. So if you know what your doing it can be done.

I wouldnt say impossible, more like unlikely. It can be done, but its going to have some money in it, not just a few bolt ons. Im pretty sure the majority of the NMRA P/S cars are in that range without being stroked. Lots of money, knowledge, and R&D.