Maximum Motorsport Caster/Camber Plates Installed!

[Twitch]

Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Even though I have the Bullitt suspension kit on my car, I still felt the front was too high for my taste, so I ordered some H&R Super Sport springs. I also had to get MM caster camber plates.

Canada day is tomorrow so I decided to start tonight and finish up tomorrow:canada:

Here are some pics

Just like any suspension install (I checked other DIY guides), you first gotta remove the brake caliper and safety hang it somewhere with a string. Next safely put a jack under the control arm and compress the spring. Once loaded, remove the strut nut. An impact gun will help alot.

IMG_3705.jpg

Remove the strut cover
IMG_3706.jpg

Slowly lower the jack to decompress the spring. The strut should be completely out.
IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

Remove metal sleeve. You won't be using this.
IMG_3709.jpg

Remove dust boot, keep it close, you'll need it later
IMG_3710.jpg

Remove OEM bumpstop. You won't be using this.
IMG_3711.jpg

This is what you are left with
IMG_3712.jpg

Underside view of the OEM plates
IMG_3713.jpg

Once you remove the bolt and the 2 nuts, the bottom plate will come off. You won't be using this.
IMG_3714.jpg

Remove the rivets from Ford top plate by drilling them out
IMG_3715.jpg

As instructed in the MM instructions, used the OEM top plate to scribe the location of the 4th hole
IMG_3716.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

After scribing both positions, you'll end up with two circles. The intersection is where you want to drill the 4th hole. Punch it, drill a pilot hole and finally drill to the proper size.
IMG_3718.jpg

Underside view of shock tower with new hole
IMG_3701.jpg

Insert the new MM bottom plate
IMG_3703.jpg

Use an elastic band to hold the bottom plate in position. You'll have a much easier time this way.
IMG_3699.jpg

Place the spacers
IMG_3719.jpg

Place MM top plate
IMG_3721.jpg

Now onto the strut. Get the OEM dustboot
IMG_3722.jpg

Remove the steel strap by either cutting or deforming it with pliers.
IMG_3724.jpg

IMG_3725.jpg

IMG_3726.jpg

The new MM bumpstop will be slightly larger than the dustboot
IMG_3727.jpg

Some lube will help
IMG_3728.jpg

IMG_3729.jpg

After going at it for a while, you'll eventually get it to fit. You can use some prying tools but be careful not to damage the plastic dust boot. Wrap the supplied zip tie onto the dustboot
IMG_3730.jpg

IMG_3731.jpg

Place the dustboot with the new MM bumpstop onto the strut. At first, it will look like this. There will be like 2 inches protruding from the top.
IMG_3732.jpg

Push the dustboot all the way down, collapsing the the strut. Now the boot is properly placed. Notice the longer shaft.
IMG_3734.jpg

Jack up the lower control arm and guide the strut into the shock tower
IMG_3735.jpg

IMG_3737.jpg

The spacer setting may differ from car setup. It's all explained in the MM instructions. For my setup, place one short spacer onto the strut
IMG_3739.jpg

IMG_3740.jpg

Place the MM bearing camber plate
IMG_3741.jpg

And place 1 short, and 2 long spacers
IMG_3742.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

Screw back the strut nut, then lower your jack from the control arm and your are done
IMG_3745.jpg

Remember to check for hood clearance for the struts!

• Sponsors (?)

Excellent write up!!:nice:
My spacers are set up the same way too with my Maximum Motorsports C&C plates.;)
On the instructions that came with my kit explains on how many spacers are needed for the top,or the bottom as it depends on the drop from the springs.Basically what it states,the lower the drop,the more spacers on top,but you need at least one on the bottom,the less of the drop,the more spacers on the bottom with one on top.