Mechanic Looked @ Gears: Help Needed Inside 4.10 vs 3.73s!:D

AmBo

Feb 3, 2004
New Jersey
Okay, so the mechanic took a look at the gears today. Took the entire thing apart and nothing looked bad. Oil was clean, Gears had good wear pattern, bearings weren't flattened, etc. He reshimmed the whole thing and reset the pinion and it still whined. :bang:

Anyway, I paid him for the labor of taking the whole thing apart and giving his opinion on it. Well, he calls me back and offers to do a full 4.10 swap with new bearings for $250 or 3.73s with new bearings for $225. I'm deff going to do it as I felt like I got robbed for the labor that got me...well, nothing.

Now the question is should I stay with 3.73s or go to 4.10s? On the highway cruising at 75-80, the 3.73s would yell at me. How much of a diff is 4.10s? Gas mileage isn't too much of an issue as I currently get 13mpg so whatever. :rlaugh:

Anyone who's gone from 3.73s to 4.10s or vice versa please chime in with your experience/opinions. :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

That's my concern. 4.10s with the blower may mean crap traction and just totally unsafe for winter.

My concerns for 4.10s include:

- High RPMs for highway driving
- Gas Mileage decreasing even MORE than my current average of 13-15mpg
- Traction
- Snow driving
- Traction
- Traction
- Did I mention traction in the snow yet?

Screw the gas milage concern. You'll get better milage around town with the 4.10s anyway.

Main reason Id stay with 3.73s is the snow issue for you. Honestly there are times I wish I had 4.10s, or at least 3.90s just for that slight extra bit of pull.

The car will probably never see the track as it's a vert and I don't wanna deal with the crap. :( So shifting into 5th at the track doesn't really phase me. It's more about the driveability of the car.

But I think I'm going to stick with teh 3.73s. Helty, I'm right there with ya. Sometimes I just wish it had that extra UMPH! when I WOT and get into boost a tad quicker. But I think 4.10s + boost + snow = crash! and that's not cool. 3.73s I can really control the rpms much easier.

I wish I could go with 4.10s in the spring and 3.73s in the winter. lol. Too bad it's not as easy as swapping out a midpipe. lol

If you had access to a lift, swapping out the entire rear axle isnt the hardest job in the world :D

ahahahah, yea let me go play with my lift that i have downstairs tucked away in my butt. :rlaugh:

if i had a lift, i'd do all this work on my own!:bang:

soooo anyone with 4.10s + blower + DD gunna chime in? :shrug:

mileage is no problem at all with 4.10s, anyone that says so is a :taco: that doesnt even watch their fuel gauge. The problem is that 4.10s would mean you would have to shift to 5th at the track, also that launching would be pretty difficult. If you never go to the track, 4.10s would probably be ok with a centrifugal blower.

How about getting a second oppinion. It sounds like this guy is not giving you the full story and is trying to get some cash out of you. I would have someone else look at the gears and see what they say!
They should be able to apply any labor to check the current gears to the swap...
Just a thought

someone around here has 410s and a KB on their car and was having some serious serious traction issues as you can imagine on the street
LaserRed01GT, or something like that. KB has a lot more low-end torque than a Centri though. Traction wouldnt be AS bad with 4.10s/Centri compared to 4.10s/KB. It would still suck though.

mileage is no problem at all with 4.10s, anyone that says so is a :taco: that doesnt even watch their fuel gauge. The problem is that 4.10s would mean you would have to shift to 5th at the track, also that launching would be pretty difficult. If you never go to the track, 4.10s would probably be ok with a centrifugal blower.

+1

Mileage is not an issue with 4.10's. My Mach 1 has stayed N/A so 4.10's were a natural choice for me, and I have no regrets having gone with them whatsoever. With a blower however, I would likely have stayed with the stock 3.55's.