Exhaust Midpipe Hanger Question

DuderMcMerican

Mar 7, 2016
Woodbridge, VA
Howdy, Gang. The PO "modded" my car with a fly-a$$ coathanger-as-midpipe hanger, but it's not really my style. I plan to eventually get the OEM-style one from LMR, but I have a roadtrip coming up this weekend and would like to address it now so i wont have to worry about it working itself loose and bottoming-out the pipe and such.

I haven't gotten a close look at it in a spell, but google says the OEM part mounts between the transmission tail shaft and the transmission mount.

My question is, could I get away with a cheapo one from Advance for the time being? The cheap one is "universal" so it looks completely different from OEM, so I don't even know if it's possible to use it.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

If your exhaust is tight, you really shouldn't have much of an issue. I haven't had my mid-pipe supported in....oh...20 years?

I have the hanger, but the pipe had the part that slides into it cut off, and it's been on the car since the early 2000's.

Not saying not to install an OEM hanger, but it really hasn't been an issue on my vehicle. With that said, I wouldn't run an universal hanger. Get OEM style.

sorry to thread jack... but I'm putting my car back together... I have a UPR (think it's UPR) mid X pipe with the 2 cats... it don't have the metal hanger/rod's that going into the main hanger on the trans... I was wondering if I need this (was going to try to cut the ones of stock mid pipe and weld them on) but from what you guys are saying I won't need it?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if most people cut the rods off. They make exhaust removal a real pain and cause alignment issues with the tail pipes.
Me personally, I think it would be best to not have them at first then weld them on later after everything is where you want it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have bbk lts and h pipe, stuck mine together and took it to a muffler shop to adjust and weld the h pipe, I've had the system off twice since then and no problems, I think it is good to have the hangers in case it comes loose.