Mikes Tip For The Day. Adding A Cobra Brake Booster.

CarMichael Angelo

clearly, I’ve got something going on in that hole
SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Mikes tip for the day is why would you go through it when there is a solution that does it way better.
I see it all the time....Fox mustangs w/ strut tower carnage as a result of needing additional clearance at the front leading edge of the MC. A Cobra brake booster forces the MC to be all over the strut tower.

I have a better option. Thoroughly filed tested, and Monster approved at the same time. How can you beat that?

Use a Fairmont booster.

temporary_zpsfcf4bcff.jpg

Just look at that,....It breezes by w/ no clearance issues. Works perfectly.

• Sponsors(?)

Noobz347

Stangnet Facilities Maint Tech... Er... Janitor
Admin Dude
Jan 4, 1985
Box behind Walmart
www.stangnet.com
Wait... What did you put it? What are the specifics of the MC and have you tried this setup?

I would love to not have to beat on strut towers when I get back to mine.

Davedacarpainter

I think I've messed my pants
SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
That looks like my booster on my rat turd special. Sure, a little cleaner, but very similar.
IMG_0533.JPG
IMG_2629.JPG

mikestang63

SN Certified Technician
Aug 27, 2012
In the garage
never had to beat up on my strut towers either . I lengthened out the slots on the two left bolt holes and trimmed down the studs and it slid in with no issue. Curious on how the fairmont booster compares to the cobra as well.

CarMichael Angelo

SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
BUT.... you had to modify the mounting holes to shift the damn thing sideways......Why is this so hard? The fairmont booster is a bolt-in. NO filing, NO shifting, just bolt in, and go.

CarMichael Angelo

SN Certified Technician
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
m.imdb.com
Im curious why this even came up years after you are beyond that point of the build?
Because there's always another guy adding a big assed "Cobra" booster, talking about beating on a strut tower, or filing 4 holes that don't need filing.
The Fairmont booster allows the 15/16" Cobra MC to bolt on.

Davedacarpainter

I think I've messed my pants
SN Certified Technician
Nov 28, 2015
Discordia
That's why I showed a picture of my blue car. It is the same. I think they changed to the larger booster in '85.

That said, cool starting point Mike. I didn't know it would work with the newer stuff.

Mustang5L5

A little massaging and it went right in
Mod Dude
Feb 18, 2001
Massachusetts
I think they were tighter until mid 89 . I'm not sure if that's confirmed though.

Basically

79-86 is the tightest. SN95 booster installs in this car can be done, but you are bashing your strut tower

87-89 got a bit more room. If you are creative, you can get it in without using a hammer at all. Does require trimming/slotting though

90-93, the Cadillac of strut towers. Booster slides easily.

And yeah, a drop in, no modding booster would be gold.

Last edited: