Mikes Tip For The Day. Adding A Cobra Brake Booster.

CarMichael Angelo

my rearend will smell so minty fresh,
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Birmingham, al
Mikes tip for the day is why would you go through it when there is a solution that does it way better.
I see it all the time....Fox mustangs w/ strut tower carnage as a result of needing additional clearance at the front leading edge of the MC. A Cobra brake booster forces the MC to be all over the strut tower.

I have a better option. Thoroughly filed tested, and Monster approved at the same time. How can you beat that?

Use a Fairmont booster.

temporary_zpsfcf4bcff.jpg

Just look at that,....It breezes by w/ no clearance issues. Works perfectly.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

What are the specs on it?

I didn't touch my strut towers putting in my Cobra booster. I trimmed the studs down, and slotted to the pass side, and it went right in without touching the strut tower.

Reactions: 3 users
never had to beat up on my strut towers either . I lengthened out the slots on the two left bolt holes and trimmed down the studs and it slid in with no issue. Curious on how the fairmont booster compares to the cobra as well.

That's why I showed a picture of my blue car. It is the same. I think they changed to the larger booster in '85.

That said, cool starting point Mike. I didn't know it would work with the newer stuff.

I think they were tighter until mid 89 . I'm not sure if that's confirmed though.

Basically

79-86 is the tightest. SN95 booster installs in this car can be done, but you are bashing your strut tower

87-89 got a bit more room. If you are creative, you can get it in without using a hammer at all. Does require trimming/slotting though

90-93, the Cadillac of strut towers. Booster slides easily.

And yeah, a drop in, no modding booster would be gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users