Mildly moddified 5.0 vs. Stock 2002 GT

Tim2002GT

Founding Member
Apr 10, 2002
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Okay, I have a friend a work that wants to give me a run. His car is a 1989 LX 5.0 with shorty headers, high flow cats, and flowmaster catback. He also has 3.73 gears compared to my 3.27's. All that is done to mine is a drop in K&N and a MGW shifter. Oh yeah, both cars are manuals. I'm thinking that this will be a pretty close race, but :shrug: . What do you guys think?

• Sponsors (?)

From my expereience he will get you off the line.....I have an 01 gt and when i raced my friends 90 lx with full exhast and 3.73 gears ,he got me from a stop, but i started to pull on him in 2nd gear a bit......we had to stop for a red light so we could not continue the race haha......

Is it a coupe or hatchback?

The coupes are very light, but you should be able to outrun him even then. If its a coupe and he can drive, itll be a fun race.

I ran a freinds LX hatch with several bolt ons, gears, and a spool out back... She beat me at the tree but I was able to pass her quickly on the track.

You should have no problem taking him, even if he does get you off the line.

it will be close. I raced a 94 5.0 with me having intake and a catback. He had headers and a catback and intake. I pulled 1/2 car through first and then another car in 2nd and then we stopped cause of the speed limit only being 60. They make some good torque and him being a 89 its lighter than the 94s so it will probably give you a run for ur money unless u can drive.

its funny how a 16 year old 5.0 runs like the 99-04 gt's.. ford didnt boost power all to much lol.. drive it like u stole it bro. i did that one night same situation u will pull him in fourth he will be door to door with u until than..

Talking from Track Experience...my old 91 gt 5 speed with shorty headers, off road h pipe, flows, k&n, and 3.73's ran 14.1 at 100 mph with a 2.1 60'....my 00 GT with stuff in the sig. ran 13.5 at 102.8 on a 1.9 60'....I def. feel my 00 GT is a much stronger car then the fox was

GT's are the heaviest of the Fox's though, but the weight difference isnt too big between them and an LX hatch.

I seriously dont think it should be a door to door race. When I raced my freind at the strip she started infront of me (jumped me at the tree) and I passed her and was making a gap before the end of the track.

My mildly modified AUTOMATIC '88 LX 5.0 is faster than my stock 5-speed '03 GT.

That statement is based on timeslips from the track. My 5.0 is a few tenths faster and traps 2-3 more MPH with just a few basic bolt ons and a stock slushbox AOD

My mildly modified AUTOMATIC '88 LX 5.0 is faster than my stock 5-speed '03 GT.

That statement is based on timeslips from the track. My 5.0 is a few tenths faster and traps 2-3 more MPH with just a few basic bolt ons and a stock slushbox AOD

I hope you don't get offended by this but your driving might have somthing to do with that.

What did you run out of both cars.. I went 13.90 stock out of my 01 GT 5-speed.. and my 60 foot time was not that good at all. ( 2.10) I have driven a few stock to mildly moded AOD foxes at the track and I got nowhere near those times with the stock gears..

with gears in the AOD fox that might be a different story, but they were pigs with the stock 2.73's and the stock stall.

I hope you don't get offended by this but your driving might have somthing to do with that.

What did you run out of both cars.. I went 13.90 stock out of my 01 GT 5-speed.. and my 60 foot time was not that good at all. ( 2.10) I have driven a few stock to mildly moded AOD foxes at the track and I got nowhere near those times with the stock gears..

with gears in the AOD fox that might be a different story, but they were pigs with the stock 2.73's and the stock stall.

I went 14.1 @ 99MPH with a 2.1 60-footer in the GT.

The 5.0 has gone 13.9 @ 101 with a 2.2 60' and yes it has 3.73's.
Bone stock it went 14.7 @ 93MPH.

In all fairness i have a pretty good list of mods on the 5.0...but still stock heads, camshaft and AOD tranns. If you actually want to see the mods it has, just check out my "Garage"