Modular guy just went and bought a 5.0 questions

Wolfhound

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
Space Coast, Florida
Okay I have been a Modular guy for a year now and I have done alot of research on what to do and what not to do. I got a good deal on a 1992 LX 5.0 with 95,000 miles on it. The guy who had the car before me put on a O/R H pipe, Flows, pulleys (not sure what brand) and what looks like a BBK CAI. I am going to change the oil tomorrow and I was looking to get opinions on what to put in it. I have no clue what the previous owner used. I use Mobile 1 synthetic in my 02. I also live in Cental Florida so it only gets cold for about a month. Should I go with a synthetic or should I just use regular oil? Any help would be apprecited.

• Sponsors (?)

lol it actually does get alittle cold in central florida, i lived in auburndale for about a year, an one month in the winter i remember it was pretty cold.

But to answer your question, ask the guy you bought it from what kinda oil he had in it. I don't wanna tell ya put synthetic in it cause if it didn't have that in it before you more the likely will develope some leaks.

it probably wasnt really cold...it probably just felt cold cuz you're just so used to it being hot. that's what it's like here in oklahoma. like in the summer it's in the 90's and 100's but when it gets closer to fall, it drops down to the 70's (which i think are PERFECT) but it felt cold as hell at first cuz i was used to it being in the 90's and 100's.

cenok is family said:
it probably wasnt really cold...it probably just felt cold cuz you're just so used to it being hot. that's what it's like here in oklahoma. like in the summer it's in the 90's and 100's but when it gets closer to fall, it drops down to the 70's (which i think are PERFECT) but it felt cold as hell at first cuz i was used to it being in the 90's and 100's.

It's funny when it's winter I'll be snowbroading and have to take off my coat when it's like 35 and the sun is out, because it's hot.

Maybe so but i've lived in ohio my whole life except for that one year an it still felt pretty chilly. Of course right now i'd give 50 degrees instead of this god damn 30 degree **** in ohio right now. Snow will start flying soon an the winter depression will set in :mad:

USE MOBILE 1 20w-50w, i also live in Florida and found this to be the best oil for year round.....

the one thing i hate about florida other then the 95+ heat in the summers, is our screwed up winters, one week its 50, next week 80, next 50's, it just dosent know if it wants too snow or not :nonono: , one thing too about fl is our humididey 50*f feels like 30*, ever since i broke my neck i hate fl winters because of the humididey it goes rite throught you too the bone :notnice:

Just a thought, but with 95000 miles i'd have a good look at the harmonic balancer to see if the rubber is all cracked and starting to comeout, see if it looks to be wobbling when the car idles.. Unplug the coil wire and have a buddy crank it over and watch the balancer to see if it has a wobble to it too.

My LX only had about 85000 miles on it and when I got it the balancer was toast, and if left for a long time liike this it can cause vibration in the engine/driveline or can totally let go and then really bad things can happen.

Just a thought I had... seeing as how you just bought the car :)

I took a tip from a member and use 3qts 10W30 and 2qts Mobil 1 5W30...A cheap mans mix...I run it year round in 5 vehicles...No probs to date....I run Napa oil in all my cars and trucks for 5 yrs running...

Look Its Aaron said:
What makes you say that?
Well, for starters, there are soooo many cars running around with 300,000+ kilometres (190,000miles), mine included that have never run synthetic engine oil a day in their life and still run strong. I pulled my engine down just for piece of mind when I bought the car just because of the mileage and was surprised to find the original cross hatched pattern, still etched into the cylinder walls. New rings and bearings and I never looked back. I'm not saying that synthetic oil is garbage, but it has yet to be proven to be superior to conventional oil in everyday driving....regardless of all of the mock tests synthetic oil companies have conducted. Not to mention certain additives used in synthetic oils have been know to harden rubber/silicon gaskets and seals over the years causing leaks. I’m a firm believer in regular oil changes instead of expensive oil changes. $50.00 for an oil change seems crazy to me.:nonono: Even if there were any possible way of proving there were advantages of using synthetic oil over conventional oil. I’d rather spend 1/10 of the money on a rebuild after 15-years of driving, then flush $50.00 every time I changed my oil.

Not downing anyone who chooses to run snake oil, but I’ll spend my money on things that I know will actually work and will notice when I use them. An extra $30.00 per oil change over 5 or 10 years, buys an awful lot of aftermarket parts. But hey….spend your own money how you will, my opinion isn't the final word.:shrug:

Well, for starters, there are soooo many cars running around with 300,000+ kilometres (190,000miles), mine included that have never run synthetic engine oil a day in their life and still run strong. I pulled my engine down just for piece of mind when I bought the car just because of the mileage and was surprised to find the original cross hatched pattern, still etched into the cylinder walls. New rings and bearings and I never looked back. I'm not saying that synthetic oil is garbage, but it has yet to be proven to be superior to conventional oil in everyday driving....regardless of all of the mock tests synthetic oil companies have conducted. Not to mention certain additives used in synthetic oils have been know to harden rubber/silicon gaskets and seals over the years causing leaks. I’m a firm believer in regular oil changes instead of expensive oil changes. $50.00 for an oil change seems crazy to me.:nonono: Even if there were any possible way of proving there were advantages of using synthetic oil over conventional oil. I’d rather spend 1/10 of the money on a rebuild after 15-years of driving, then flush $50.00 every time I changed my oil.

Not downing anyone who chooses to run snake oil, but I’ll spend my money on things that I know will actually work and will notice when I use them. An extra $30.00 per oil change over 5 or 10 years, buys an awful lot of aftermarket parts. But hey….spend your own money how you will, my opinion isn't the final word.:shrug:

really..what a perfect...educated, unbiased, tactful...response. I am going back to oil. You convinced me!!