Quiet Exhaust

Hi All,

I have a 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 that I just purchased. The car has stock headers, hi-flow cats and a mac exhaust.

I'm looking for a quieter muffler with no drone as the mac exhaust is loud inside at cruising speeds.

I've seen a few posts from years ago where people suggested super turbo's. I've had them on my previous mustangs and they were loud inside at cruising speeds.

Looking for some recommendations. Thank you all for looking!

• Sponsors (?)

Damn. I love my MAC exhaust. Mine was installed in the late ‘90’s. At that time it was basically either Flowmasters or MAC. Most guys went the Flowmaster route but the very reputable speed shop that sold me the system and did the install told me the MAC actually made a few more ponies and had much less drone then the Flows. I took their word for it, and they’ve been on my car ever since. Over 20 years now. Crazy. Where does the time go.

Reactions: 4 users
Keep your Mac mufflers but add resonators down stream.
This kind of attenuation will keep low rumble but kill drone and can talk over it in the car at cruising speeds.

Reactions: 1 user
I also have a Mac Pro Chamber. If you are familiar with that unit it has a box it looks like that connects the two banks and equalizes pressure while I believe also taming drone. That could also be why my MAC exhaust has very little drone

Reactions: 1 users
99-04 OEM GT mufflers were a great recommendation back in the day. Of course, you could easily find a low-mileage take off without looking too hard. These days, oem mufflers are a bit harder to find but could get lucky and find a set.

They have the car a great growl but we’re much quieter yet would some power

The best guide mufflers I ever had were Thrush turbo mufflers from Advance. They sounded great on my old 86 vert. Quite at idle with just enough grunt when on the happy pedal. They were the mufflers with the road runner bird on the box. I didn't have drone issues but it was stock with stock cats.

I use the DynoMax ultraflow SS mufflers, and I have one of the quietest Mustangs I know of. I'm not going to say it's super quiet, but with catalytic converters it should be. Steeda marketed them as a quiet muffler option at one point.

Kurt

I have ultraflo ss mufflers, I'm pretty sure they were formerly called some type of race muffler (I talked to the dynomax guys on the phone and if I remeber correctly they said they used to be the race magnums). Not sure how they sound with cats, but they are pretty loud on my car, too loud for me. Though the drone is not too bad.
Dynomax super turbos are most likely your best choice.
Personally I think Mac makes total garbage and I will not own one of their parts ever again.

Reactions: 1 user
Here in NY they just passed a law on loud exhaust systems so I put 2 1/4" headder pipes with an H-pipe crossunder at the rear of the trans at the yoke attached to some 9" free flowing bullet mufflers before the mufflers to look like cats I even installed faux 02 sensors after the free flowing bullet mufflers plus I have FlowMaster Offset inlet/offset outlet Mufflers......

Its so quiet and matched to the brutal torque Im producing it takes some getting used to when gauging speed.....LOL....Im thinking about buying one of those units that project your speed your going on the windshield..

Just the other day I got ripped by a state trooper for doing 87mph coming into a 55 from an onramp he was monitoring and it felt like I was only accelerating up to around 60 maybe 65......After a license check and a short conversation about punching it to flog the engine out a lil before getting on I was given a warning and told to slow down....... LOL

Reactions: 3 users
Here in NY they just passed a law on loud exhaust systems so I put 2 1/4" headder pipes with an H-pipe crossunder at the rear of the trans at the yoke attached to some 9" free flowing bullet mufflers before the mufflers to look like cats I even installed faux 02 sensors after the free flowing bullet mufflers plus I have FlowMaster Offset inlet/offset outlet Mufflers......

Its so quiet and matched to the brutal torque Im producing it takes some getting used to when gauging speed.....LOL....Im thinking about buying one of those units that project your speed your going on the windshield..

Just the other day I got ripped by a state trooper for doing 87mph coming into a 55 from an onramp he was monitoring and it felt like I was only accelerating up to around 60 maybe 65......After a license check and a short conversation about punching it to flog the engine out a lil before getting on I was given a warning and told to slow down....... LOL
I live in NY too. How long ago did they pass this law?