More power - Trickflow Street Intake vs. BBK LT's?

Joe 5.0

Founding Member
Feb 1, 2002
Macomb, MI (metro detroit)
I'll have some money to throw around before the racing season is over and I want to either get an intake manifold or long tubes. With a stock'ish setup like mine which will make the most power and which will help 1/4 times the most. I am leaning slightly towards the intake because I would think I need more high rpm power, not more midrange torque (which supposedly is what the lt's are good for).

Any dyno numbers to back up either mod when putting either one onto a stock engine?

• Sponsors (?)

Ive only owned a Trickflow, so my vote goes to the manifold. The LTs are actually low end to mid range. Believe it or not, if you are a backyard mechanic, both things will be about the same install time, but the LTs will have less problems if you botch something up....learning to adjust timing killllllled me the first time out.

To be honest, even though I hate paying people to do stuff for me, I'd pay to have either installed. I dont have an engine lift nor any beams in my garage to attach a chain lift to install the LT's. And the intake definitely looks a little intimidating for a beginner. I'd probably want to get it dyno'd afterwards to make sure its tuned right, so I could probably get a break having both done at a performance shop.

Doing a manifold is a bit scary at first, but when you break it down to what it really is, it isnt too bad. Take off from the TB down, pop off the upper, pop out the distributor, fuel rails, lower, then reverse. The big problem i ran into was that the vacuum lines magically became inches shorter so i had to go out and find some. I had a massive vacuum leak between the upper and lower and my car wouldnt even hold idle. It puzzled me for an entire 2 days. Im not gonna lie, i haaaaaaaaaaaate putting on ANY type of header. i think both of the installs will run you almost the same, so count one for the manifold

i totally forgot about the mid pipe. that there is another expense you are paying to buy and to get put in. cost wise, the LTs will be more expensive, but with the mid pipe and LTs, nice gains will be noticable

price layout

5.0L EFI Street Intake Manifold..................399.99
351 EFI Street Intake Manifold...................559.99
Track Heat Intake Manifold........................469.99
R-Series Intake Manifold............................529.99

or:

BBK 1-5/8" Full Length Headers (Polished Ceramic)....399.99
BBK 1-5/8" Full Length Headers (Chrome)................279.99

plus:

BBk Short H-Pipe With Converters.............339.99
BBk Short H-Pipe Off Road.......................119.99

the cheapest header/h-pipe combo would be around 400 which is the exact same as the cheapest trick flow intake which was prob the one you were going to get anyways.

so it all comes down to your original question "which has most power"

exhaust setup:
headers.........20-25 hp and 20ft/lb torque
short midpipe..???????????

or:

manifold........35-40 hp

****(this is just what they are said to put out)****

not to mention if you do go with the intake there will other costs to such as maybe (not sure if you need them all):

*tune up
-wires..................80+
-spark plugs..........10+
-Cap and Rotor......25+
-Tfi Coil................50+

*you might need a new throttle body.....150+

*maybe a timing...............??????

good luck man i hope i helped!

intake

I just put a 94/95 cobra intake and 65mm tb on my otherwise stock 95 gts. It made a noticeable difference, espically above 4000rpm. It no longer begs to be shifted at 4500, it likes to rev to 5500 now! Intake isn't that bad a job, took me about 4 hours taking my time. I bought a used 94/95 cobra intake off ebay for $250 and everythig lined up perfectly!

My friend has a used 94/95 cobra intake for sale that came off his 94 GT. He made 245rwhp with that intake, full exhaust (shortys) 76mm c&l and pulleys. Let me know if your interested and i'll pass the word to him. He's sold stuff before online, so he is NOT a scumbag rip off!

JimTMich said:
I just put a 94/95 cobra intake and 65mm tb on my otherwise stock 95 gts. It made a noticeable difference, espically above 4000rpm. It no longer begs to be shifted at 4500, it likes to rev to 5500 now! Intake isn't that bad a job, took me about 4 hours taking my time. I bought a used 94/95 cobra intake off ebay for $250 and everythig lined up perfectly!

hey now, dont go filling his head with too much optimism. doing a cobra intake is a bit easier than an aftermarket one. there is actually assembly required on a bunch of crap. then i had to fab up new vacuum lines which pissed me the hell off. an intake is quite a process your first time around. if you do an exhaust, i think youll be a little less content though.

I vote both, you need to let it inhale and exhale. but if just one can be done now do the intake. you will see better gains from the intake and maybe better throttle response. I did with that intake but I had full exhaust.

If you are just going for power the intake is the way to go, but if you what some grunt you need the headers, Awesome a WOT.

The end goal is to have long tubes also, but with my current rent & insurance I cant justify dropping $1k in car stuff at once. Sounds like I should go with the intake, and I like the looks of the Trickflow over the Performer. It doesnt hurt that its $100 cheaper.

Are all the elbows exactly the same, or do I have to match the TF intake with the TF elbow?

And right now I need more upper rpm hp more than midrange torque. I already have 290lb ft at the wheels @ 3500 rpm, but it drops off like a cliff at 5k. :rolleyes:

I also have a Pro-M 76mm Bullet MAF, but it has done zero for my 1/4 times, amybe with the intake it'll be worth a couple hp over stock. :shrug:

I did both at same time (trick flow and mac LT w/prochamber) You can do this in your garage, take your time. You will be on you r back for the headers but no big deal. Never got to dyno due to selling the car for a darn harley and the kid who bought my car wrapped it round a tree 4mos later.Butt dyno says it felt like 20-25 hp increase.