moroso oil pan hitting stock k-member

jromeo

Mar 5, 2006
charleston sc.
:mad: I tried to install my 347 to day but it's never that easy for me. First ,like the title said, my 7 qt oil pan hits the k-member. I think this would be the perfect time to do a k-member coilover setup, but I only had 3k to do this project and I just hit the 5k mark .Tomorrow, or really later on this morning were going to cut the piece of the k-member off that hits the the pan and hope for the best. I'm not going to be driving the car like this but I need to get the motor in before the guy that is helping me, moves out of state next week. I think I will order the QA1 k-member in a week or three. Its been six months since I ordered the short block, thinking i'll just throw my heads and intake on and be done.But with all problems like the oil pan,one head had a crack in it, two bent valves in the other head, getting the heads ported, forgetting about needing 28 oz flywheel and balancer, and for some reason the stock replacment motor mounts kicks the motor 1 1/4 inch to the passenger side of the car so the trans mount doesn't bolt up. It makes me want to just push it into the street and set it on fire. :(

RANT. I FEEL BETTER NOW.
jromeoscarparts019.jpg
[/IMG]
jromeoscarparts020.jpg
jromeoscarparts018.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]
jromeoscarparts018.jpg
[/IMG]

• Sponsors (?)

That's totally different from my Moroso 7 qt. I would try calling Moroso and see if they have any recommendations. Notching the K-member is pretty common practice, and as long as it's a small notch not much of an issue. If you are going to order a K-member, I would just wait on the engine install. It's so much easier to install the K-member without the the engine in there.

Kurt

That's totally different from my Moroso 7 qt. I would try calling Moroso and see if they have any recommendations. Notching the K-member is pretty common practice, and as long as it's a small notch not much of an issue. If you are going to order a K-member, I would just wait on the engine install. It's so much easier to install the K-member without the the engine in there.

Kurt

Well we got the motor in, I didn't want to wait two to three weeks on the k- member. I still have some things to do before I start it. I see you have a 347 also, what size injectors are you running ? I don't think my 24 pounders will be up to the task.

I'm running 30lb/hr injectors. You are probably right at the limit of your 24lb/hr injectors. Might be time to think about stepping it up. Are you reusing the AFR 185s on this engine?

Kurt

i think a stock oil pan would have been fine (you are not boosting it, right?) without a blower, it doesn't need more oil than stock. now if you were going with a blower or turbo, then more oil would be called for because they usually share oil from the main system.

:shrug:

I'm running 30lb/hr injectors. You are probably right at the limit of your 24lb/hr injectors. Might be time to think about stepping it up. Are you reusing the AFR 185s on this engine?

Kurt

yes, i'm reusing the heads. I paid to have them portmatched to the holly the first time on my 331 but it didn't get done, so this time around with a different engine builder I made sure it got done.
jromeoscarparts016.jpg
[/IMG]
jromeoscarparts017.jpg
[/IMG]

i think a stock oil pan would have been fine (you are not boosting it, right?) without a blower, it doesn't need more oil than stock. now if you were going with a blower or turbo, then more oil would be called for because they usually share oil from the main system.

:shrug:

Yea, I think your right. My builder did tell me to send the hv oil pump back or get a bigger pan.:D
I still think the engine will be better off with more oil.Maybe it will run cooler.:shrug: