Progress Thread Motivate Me For The Love Of God

Nothing wrong with the car sitting while life takes you in other directions. I think we have all been there. It looks like while the car sat you gathered the parts to fix it. That tells me you have not lost complete interest. I know I have had mine to that point that it was like will this car ever be put back together and done! The funny part is when it is back together I am always looking for the the next thing I want to change on it. I enjoy working on probably as much if not more then driving it. I just don't want to be a slave to it!

• Sponsors (?)

I was just there recently. I went to look at an all original rusted out 86 5.0. They started it for me and I got bit by the bug again. I missed out on that car but ended up buying a rusted out 93. Well that got the ball rolling again. Then coworkers bet me on a deadline. I lost the bet but it was almost a running car. So I got it to the point that it was a running project and I have been enjoying it ever since.

I was just there recently. I went to look at an all original rusted out 86 5.0. They started it for me and I got bit by the bug again. I missed out on that car but ended up buying a rusted out 93. Well that got the ball rolling again. Then coworkers bet me on a deadline. I lost the bet but it was almost a running car. So I got it to the point that it was a running project and I have been enjoying it ever since.
I should clarify that the 93 is still rusted out in front of my house. Buying a foxbody mustang got the ball rolling again on another foxbody project.

Nothing wrong with the car sitting while life takes you in other directions. I think we have all been there. It looks like while the car sat you gathered the parts to fix it. That tells me you have not lost complete interest. I know I have had mine to that point that it was like will this car ever be put back together and done! The funny part is when it is back together I am always looking for the the next thing I want to change on it. I enjoy working on probably as much if not more then driving it. I just don't want to be a slave to it!

I always thought if I had a garage to work in I'd never stop messing with it but all it has done is give me a safe place to neglect the hell out of it. I do see myself getting sucked back in once it runs again.

Good news is the engine isn't seized up or anything, it turns over just fine. I didn't get around to measuring the pushrods Saturday but I've got the next two days off so it's gonna start coming together pretty quick once I have them measured and ordered. I think all I need at this point besides the pushrods is new oil/filter/coolant and it will run, but I'm gonna do something with the radiator before I get that far.

Last edited:
I built my fox project without a garage. You should definitely get at it if you have a garage. I have whored out my driveway project enough already, but I like to think I would’ve gotten my car on the road much sooner if I had a garage. I wish you well and hope to see your notch at Fords Carlisle... assuming the Daddywagon makes it there. Haha!

I built my fox project without a garage. You should definitely get at it if you have a garage. I have whored out my driveway project enough already, but I like to think I would’ve gotten my car on the road much sooner if I had a garage. I wish you well and hope to see your notch at Fords Carlisle... assuming the Daddywagon makes it there. Haha!

Yeah man this "project" is 15 years in the making. I didn't have the garage until a few years ago but I still should have made it happen before now.

Yeah man this "project" is 15 years in the making. I didn't have the garage until a few years ago but I still should have made it happen before now.

I have 17. :p That parts pile just keeps growing. :rolleyes:

Adding an MM torque arm and pan-hard bar to the demolition too.

Haven't decided if the frame mounted roll bar is worth having for a street car. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
I have 17. :p That parts pile just keeps growing. :rolleyes:

Adding an MM torque arm and pan-hard bar to the demolition too.

Haven't decided if the frame mounted roll bar is worth having for a street car. :shrug:

Man someday in the future I know, the entire floor pan is getting cut out of mine, it's getting at least a 6 point cage with low door bars, through the floor frame ties, mini tubs, tubular K...the works. It's just a looooong way off lol.

Sooooooo......trying to remove the valve springs so I can put the soft springs in and measure for these pushrods....but the stupid spring compressor keeps popping off before it compresses the spring enough to get the retainers out. Any tips?

Depending on the style of compressor you have....

The cheap one I have has the ability to adjust seat where the valve rest. I found playing with the height of that seat made it easier to get the springs off without issue.

Joe

Sooooooo......trying to remove the valve springs so I can put the soft springs in and measure for these pushrods....but the stupid spring compressor keeps popping off before it compresses the spring enough to get the retainers out. Any tips?

If you're using something like this, you can forget about it.
1520897837087.png

This thing sucks in any version. Sold or rented. If you are trying to do this with the heads on, then the old technique of filling the cylinder up with air (or nylon zip cord) to hold the valve up and use a lever style compressor. like this instead.
1520898000960.png

I tried the first one on my head, and it would slip off everytime it even started to compress the spring. It is intended for a lightweight single coil stock spring, and very little else. Once we converted to the lever, the springs were off in a matter of minutes. I actually prefer to use paracord instead of air, then you never have to worry. Lower the piston dow an inch, fill that dude w/ paracord, then bring the piston up until it wont go anymore.works like a charm.

If you're using something like this, you can forget about it.
1520897837087.png

This thing sucks in any version. Sold or rented. If you are trying to do this with the heads on, then the old technique of filling the cylinder up with air (or nylon zip cord) to hold the valve up and use a lever style compressor. like this instead.
1520898000960.png

I tried the first one on my head, and it would slip off everytime it even started to compress the spring. It is intended for a lightweight single coil stock spring, and very little else. Once we converted to the lever, the springs were off in a matter of minutes. I actually prefer to use paracord instead of air, then you never have to worry. Lower the piston dow an inch, fill that dude w/ paracord, then bring the piston up until it wont go anymore.works like a charm.
Noted... I have to do valve seals. I will take your advice and post results

Yeah I was using the dial type compressor and the first problem was that it was a POS from Harbor Freight. I got a better one and then realized it isn't gonna work for double springs. I ordered a stud mounted version from Summit, hopefully will get here tomorrow.

These beauties came in yesterday. They should flow a bit better than the old Mac's they're replacing.
20180315_080547.jpg
20180315_080529.jpg
20180315_080537.jpg

Also got my valve spring compressor, just waiting for a day off to work on it.