Motor Swap, You Decide!

hotpony

Founding Member
Feb 26, 1999
Lee County, KY
Ok StangNet... It's been a while since I've been very active on this forum, however, I feel that this is the most reasonable place to pose this question. I purchased a gem of a Mustang last winter and at the same time I found some great deals on some parts. First, this car is a 1988 Mustang GT with 43k original miles, all matching numbers and in pristine condition.

I was super excited to find a 347 stroker motor that needed to be assembled with all brand new hardware. At first I was definitely going to install this motor in the car so I continued to purchase all the necessary equipment to get this thing finished. Once I was done getting the motor finished and all the accessories ready, clutch, exhaust, injectors, Anderson PMS, MAF conversion, etc.. I began to contemplate this decision and I have come to a fork in the road to finishing this build.

So now you begin to see my dilemma, I have a perfect stock mustang and I love taking it out on the weekends for a cruise. But since I can't decide whether to make the decision to install this motor, tubular k-member, suspension, exhaust, fuel system, electronics, etc, oh yah and I'd be adding a supercharger to this build as well, I thought that this was the best place to ask whether I should do this or not. You decide! Should I begin the modification process on this nostalgic gem, or should I keep all this for another build at a later date. The big drawback is value, would I be decreasing the value of this all numbers matching beauty, or would it not matter?

I don't know! You decide!!

Attachments

• 347sbf.jpg
    347sbf.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Sponsors (?)

Everything you want to do can easily be undone should you choose to. Just keep everything...the original engine, trans, k member...anything you take off. Just store it and should you ever decide to go back to stock you will have all the original parts. I do suspect though with the setup you have going back to stock will not be something you choose to do.

Reactions: 1 user
I have 2 foxes I intend to own for the rest of my life. I'm not going to hesitate to do whatever my heart desires with either one of them.

So, how long are you going to own your car? You sound pretty excited about your project. Why don't you follow your heart.

I agree that things can be undone but also are unlikely, haha. If I do pull the trigger I will be extra careful to retain all parts, labeling them accordingly, as well as to not cut anything on the car or perform anything that cannot be undone. I could even purchase another harness so I wont have to splice into my existing wiring for the MAF conversion.

I agree with karthief, pickup a four banger and you already have everything to swap into it that way you still have the nice easy start maintenance free original car to cruise in when you want and is only increasing in value each day being completely original but you'll also have the other car with the power and noise you want when you want it.

Reactions: 1 users
I say do whatever you want to. It's your car. If it was me I wouldn't do anything with it but enjoy it. These cars are getting harder and harder to find in original condition. Classic mustangs weren't worth much at one point and now old trunk cars are going up in value because you can't find anything else and when you do they cost a fortune. Besides, once you get all that stuff in it your gonna want bigger wheels and as I understand it you cant do much without clearancing the wheel well, cant really undo that. As for value. If they ever do command premiums a car that is original I think will command a higher price than a car that isn't but comes with all the original stuff.

We're coming into an age where stock mustangs will start commanding way more money. Its so hard to think about. The stock cars weren't ever the cool ones i saw running around. Sure, there were stock cars with flowmasters everywhere back in the early 90s but the ones I liked were decked out and on Weld wheels or center lines. The only thing that comes to mind when i see a stock mustang is the clean slate to start modifying.

I grabbed a 4 cylinder to modify though. Just can't bring myself to f up a good, clean, and straight, mustang 5.0.

I'd have to imagine it's pretty rare to find a pristine factory fox now a days... and so it's gonna be worth some money for sure. That's why I would just moth ball it and use on nice days and save all my anger for a four banger :)

Are you keeping the car to flip and make money? What would that car really be worth?

What would make you happy a stock 225hp mustang or a 500hp mustang?

Life's too short, go have fun.

• Love
Other than being all original, is there anything that sets it apart or is otherwise unique about it? If it's just a run of the mill GT I say do what you want to it!

You won't lose value provided 2 key things.

1: The modifications are deemed tasteful to a majority of potential buyers

2: The modifications are high quality, high value parts.

In other words, if you took your pristine stocker and threw low quality Ebay Chinese mods on it, you would be affecting value. Potential future buyers who have money to spend don't want cheap mods. Now, keep in mind, the mods will not increase value, and you will not get your money back on the mods you choose to install.

Do you plan on one day selling the car? If so, it will be more cost effective to leave it stock. Every dollar you put into it will not be recovered. If you keep your stock parts and plan to put it back to 100% stock, it would help....but I don't recall anyone ever actually doing that.

Great conversation people, this is why I always liked it here. To answer a few of the questions, yes I do plan on keeping this car. I have had so many mustangs but haven't owned a fox for about 15 years or so. I've been mostly doing Cobras for the last decade but always had an ear out for a nice fox. Finally found this one and even though it's red on red, I really like it! Never did like red interior but this one being like brand new, I love it! (its the red/black two tone interior). I know some people are scowling right now but have you ever seen a brand new one? Haha..

Anyways, another question was is it anything other than run of the mill. No not really, 5spd, AC, speed density car, stripper car though (manual windows and locks). Power mirrors though, haha. It has all the original window sticker, spare tire, manual, even the advertisement pamphlet for the GT. Also has the luggage cover and straps.. Literally everything is perfect . There are a few blemishes on the paint, maybe a TINY bit of clear coat fading, might come out with some polish/wax. It's been garaged for the last 20 years, I know that for sure.

I do like the idea of getting a 4cyl, can get them cheap and they're usually not too beat up.. The motor is all quality, DSS Level 10 CNC block, DSS girdle, all ARP hardware, Edelbrock heads, etc etc.. The intake is also Edelbrock, exhaust is BBK long tubes (not the greatest I know).

This conversation goes both ways so easily and that's why I'm at a crossroad. It seems about 50/50 here though. I do like the comment from 5L5 though and if I did the mods I would DEFINITELY keep the stock parts, I have a barn so the parts would be preserved and wrapped to maintain their quality.

You all are the best though, thank you.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like a clean, low mile, very original GT.
If it were me, at this stage of my life I would keep it stock, polish it up and enjoy.
The younger me would have modified the heck out of it...lol, they are getting harder and harder
to find in original condition.
Sometimes I wonder if I should have left mine the way I got it which was mostly stock..

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like a clean, low mile, very original GT.
If it were me, at this stage of my life I would keep it stock, polish it up and enjoy.
The younger me would have modified the heck out of it...lol, they are getting harder and harder
to find in original condition.
Sometimes I wonder if I should have left mine the way I got it which was mostly stock..

This is where I feel that I am at right now, after owning so many mustangs and modifying the crap out of every single one of them, now as I near my 40's, I feel as though I just want a car I can take to shows and cruise on nice sunny days.

Hey, by the way, I notice you are in Connecticut. I am as well, just moved up here about 2 years ago, have to update my location! Where abouts are you?

To me it's a preference thing that directly ties back to what you expect from a hobby car.

For me, it's a slogan.

" if it's stock, its gonna get sold."

I had a 04 GTO. I kept it stock.
I sold it.
I had a 05 GTO. I kept it stock.
I sold it.
I had a G8gt. I kept it stock.
I sold it.
I had on 03 terminator. I kept it stock.
I sold that too.

Stock equates to daily driver. Daily driver equals boring. If you already have a dedicated daily driver, why would you want to have another boring car?

Especially one that reminds you everytime you drive it that it is rough riding, noisy, smelly, uncomfortable 30 year old car. And at the same time, slower than the new Hyndai Sonata that's sitting next to it at the light.

Put the 347 in it.

It's the difference between eating meat, or a carrot.

Be a meat eater.

• Haha
I dunno, I'm nearing 50 now and my vert was pretty much completely stock except the stereo system and crap wiring job they did with it. I have absolutely no plans on keeping it stock. Hell, I'm a weekend's worth of work away from taking stock status away from my daily! Do what makes you happy, if you want to keep it stock, do it. If you wanna mod it, do it. Don't let your age determine what you like or what you want to do. Hell, my uncle's in his 60s now and still plays with cars like that. It's your car, do what makes you happy and what you feel makes it yours!