Mustang sales up 47% from last May

05Stangster

Mar 31, 2005
Austin, Texas
Ford Sales Fall in May As Customers Continue to Abandon SUVs and Trucks, but Mustang Coupe a Hit

DETROIT (AP) -- Ford Motor Co.'s new vehicle sales fell nearly 3 percent in May, as customers continued to turn away from the company's sport utility vehicles and trucks.
The Mustang coupe sold at a blistering pace, up 47 percent from last May, Ford said on Wednesday. Ford, Lincoln and Mercury brand car sales were up 4.3 percent, but it wasn't enough to offset a 6.4 percent loss in truck sales. Ford's total sales are off 4 percent for the first five months of the year.

• Sponsors (?)

Hummm Ford is not doing to well.I heard on tv that Ford owes more money to the retirees then the company is worth.Walked into a ford dealer the other day and saw no cars i would be interested in buying.looked at the ford 500 and that looked cheap inside.But you are right ford will need to sell alot of Mustang Gts to make any sort of profit.

johnnytuinals said:
looked at the ford 500 and that looked cheap inside.

Ford spent how many millions on the 500, and it's selling like a turd. I haven't even seen one on the road yet. Saw one at the dealership and that's the most boring car I've ever seen. May be a very nice car, but it's got nothing in the styling department.

The Five Hundred isn't selling well, but its brother the Freestyle is selling like hotcakes.

People looking for a family transportation appliance would rather, all things else being equal, have a small SUV (*cough*station wagon*cough*) than a big car.

The "crossover" market is taking off. The medium to large SUV market that Ford and GM have milked for the last decade is drying up.

jasonlee0704 said:
The Five Hundred isn't selling well, but its brother the Freestyle is selling like hotcakes.

People looking for a family transportation appliance would rather, all things else being equal, have a small SUV (*cough*station wagon*cough*) than a big car.

Guess again:

May 2005 Sales:
500 - 8,977
Freestyle - 6,084

2005 calander year to date sales
500 - 40,492
Freestyle - 28,677