Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

• Sponsors (?)

Fenders look great, welds look good,don't be like me and buy a Harbor Freight 90 amp mig to weld patch panels* lol

"Can you say SPLATTER "
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm borrowing my brother's $4500 snap-on mig welder. It's way nicer than what I can afford. He's a body man though, he likes good tools.

Reactions: 1 user
:banana::banana:
image.jpeg
Got my rear shocks in today, thanks to @Boosted92LX and @Noobz347 for your help with the photo.That's the last thing I needed for the rear end, I guess you could say I have my rear end in hand now:banana:

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Ok, got a question for you t-5 wizards out there. I was thinking about rebuilding my own, is it difficult to do this? Our local tranny shop wants to charge between $600-$900 for the rebuild. I think it would be interesting to do it myself but want to know if this is maybe something I should leave for an expert. My t-5 is not a world class tranny. I have a 20 ton press and bearing separator kit.

:banana::banana:
image.jpeg
Got my rear shocks in today, thanks to @Boosted92LX and @Noobz347 for your help with the photo.That's the last thing I needed for the rear end, I guess you could say I have my rear end in hand now:banana:

Ah good. It looks like you figured out the phone end of things. :nice: I look forward to @Boosted92LX 's ascension to Image Padowan too. :jester:

BTW Dave.... I see an awful lot of sparkley shiney toyz in this thread :O_o: I can't wait to the whole body together.

There's a small story behind it though... My wife doesn't like my 86 much. I wonder what she'll think when she sees one in her favorite color. :)

Reactions: 1 users
Ah good. It looks like you figured out the phone end of things. :nice: I look forward to @Boosted92LX 's ascension to Image Padowan too. :jester:

BTW Dave.... I see an awful lot of sparkley shiney toyz in this thread :O_o: I can't wait to the whole body together.

There's a small story behind it though... My wife doesn't like my 86 much. I wonder what she'll think when she sees one in her favorite color. :)
I agree about all the toys I have for it, I can't wait to put them on. I still have to patch the driver's side passenger floor area(tonight and tomorrow night), then clean the crap out of the floor, seam seal it and I'll be ready to bring it down to the shop.
I'll paint the inside first, shoot the outside, and then put it up on our lift and undercoat the bottom.
That's when the real fun will begin, I can start putting all of those new parts on the car!
I have the doors at work now and will get them shot this week, so maybe two weeks or so and I will take the body down to work finally.
BTW, how could she not like the '86? It's the finest looking of the fox bodies.

I agree about all the toys I have for it, I can't wait to put them on. I still have to patch the driver's side passenger floor area(tonight and tomorrow night), then clean the crap out of the floor, seam seal it and I'll be ready to bring it down to the shop.
I'll paint the inside first, shoot the outside, and then put it up on our lift and undercoat the bottom.
That's when the real fun will begin, I can start putting all of those new parts on the car!
I have the doors at work now and will get them shot this week, so maybe two weeks or so and I will take the body down to work finally.
BTW, how could she not like the '86? It's the finest looking of the fox bodies.

She refers to it as, "The Boob Jiggler". :O_o:

To this day I still do not know if that is in reference to me or to her. :chin

Reactions: 4 users
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So, for tonight....
I cut out the rot by the driver's side rear seat belt buckle. I thought it was much smaller till I started grinding around it to find good metal to weld to. It ended up being almost the exact same size as the passenger side.
I beat a new patch panel into submission, got the hole drilled out for the seat belt bolt and got in and showered before my wife got home to complain that I'm working on the car again!:stick:
Anyway, here's some pictures:
Tomorrow night I will drill four holes to weld to the seat belt bracket and zap that baby in place. we are supposed to be in the sixties this coming weekend so I will spray some acid etch paint on all the bare welds, and seam seal while I have a chance for things to dry up. BTW, the rot on the left is from the passenger side, the right is the driver's side rot. I took one picture on a white countertop so you could see the Swiss cheese holes better.

Reactions: 1 users
@Noobz347

1. My wife refuses to ride in my fox also.

2. Why should i have to have an IT degree to push the upload file button and have the damned picture (thats upright in my phone) load upright to your website? I'm dragging up Jedi training.!:crap: