Build Thread My 1986 T-top Build - Lasting Memories

Started scrubbing the interior floor, I've got rot around both rear seatbelt to floor bolt areas. Does anyone know of a replacement panel that can be ordered? Do I need to fabricate this piece instead? It's not an overly large area, but it is around where the seat belt bolts down.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Sponsors (?)

Installed the UPR k-member this morning. Didn't think about needing shorter steering rack to k-member bolts, ordered them from LMR. It would have been nice to go with a MM k-member and suspension, but I got this set with k-member, control arms and coil overs for next to nothing, just right for my budget! I might get steeda's bumpsteer Kit, what do you all think of that product?
image.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Well...bit of good news. The local Speis Hecker rep dropped by the shop today, I've known him since I was a teenager back in the seventies, he tells me that he would provide all of the materials for my repaint of my car! Speis is goooooood paint.
One problem too, good problem though. We are swamped at work and I can't get my car down there to paint and repair the floor. So, until it slows down enough I'll be making lots of money to build up my parts collection that I can't put on the car till its painted.
Just received my FRPP differential, 3.73 gears and pinion flange yesterday. Waiting on the new bearings and wedding ring for my c-clip eliminators from strange.
I was going to get a cheap set of control arms for the rear, anybody know much about the SVE tubular control arms on LMR? $140 is ultra cheap, are they better than just keeping the stock ones with eurthane bushings? This is fairly temporary, one to two years before I upgrade them to a nice set from MM.
I finally stripped out all of the sound deadening mat from the floor. It was better than I thought it would be. I will paint the interior while its in the shop.

Oh, btw, I will be taking the hood down for it's final clear coat next week. I'll post a picture of it when it's done. I'll be taking the fenders next and then the doors.

The frpp arms are ok. Better than stock but if the stock ones are in descent shape I'd just wait and buy once. I actually plan on taking my mm units off my 86(I've got a drag set up ready to install). Not going to happen quickly though. If you're still in the market later this year just pm me if you're interested.

Reactions: 1 users
The frpp arms are ok. Better than stock but if the stock ones are in descent shape I'd just wait and buy once. I actually plan on taking my mm units off my 86(I've got a drag set up ready to install). Not going to happen quickly though. If you're still in the market later this year just pm me if you're interested.
Thanks brother, MM recommends basically a stock upper set with new bushings it seems like.
Down the road I would like a torque arm and remove the uppers altogether.
For the immediate future maybe I'll just get new eurethane bushings for the lower and go stock rubber on the upper.
Later (after the car is running) I will be getting a panhard bar just because I think the 285's I intend for the rear might stand a chance of rubbing with "spirited" driving.

I have 275-17 Nitto's on mine. With a lowering spring they fit well. They are narrower than some brands tires and even so with some significant dips I get a slight rub if someone sits in the backseat. 285's probably will need some "massaging" to fit i.e. Remove quads,roll the rear fenders,and using a bfh to the inner wheelwell but they will fit. And I agree with your suspension plans.

I have 275-17 Nitto's on mine. With a lowering spring they fit well. They are narrower than some brands tires and even so with some significant dips I get a slight rub if someone sits in the backseat. 285's probably will need some "massaging" to fit i.e. Remove quads,roll the rear fenders,and using a bfh to the inner wheelwell but they will fit. And I agree with your suspension plans.
I've already rolled the quarters, I may reconsider the width size as I get closer to the wheels and tires. Luckily that'll be about the last thing on my assembly list and I've got a few months to think it over and do some serious measuring once the car has all it's weight on it again, it's crazy how light the shell of this car is. I may go ahead and get the panhard bar kit before it's done.
Quads are gone, btw

I had an '86 T-top for about a year, and sold it to get my '11. While I had it, my wife would not stop talking about how she didnt understand what I liked about it. She said she thought Mustang II's even looked better... Some people just dont have an appreciation for them, but I am with ya. I used to favor the aero nose in my younger days, but side by side now, I do think the four eye looks more aggressive.

While the previous owner(s) had made it pretty "unique," I had already gathered parts to restore it back to mostly stock with only aftermarket wheels. That was until I drove a coyote car. It was easier to afford a new car payment than to shell out the money for a coyote swap in the '86. It was a nice car though, wish I could buy it back now, but dont have the garage space nor an understanding enough spouse.

DSCN1610.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1610.jpg
    DSCN1610.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I had an '86 T-top for about a year, and sold it to get my '11. While I had it, my wife would not stop talking about how she didnt understand what I liked about it. She said she thought Mustang II's even looked better... Some people just dont have an appreciation for them, but I am with ya. I used to favor the aero nose in my younger days, but side by side now, I do think the four eye looks more aggressive.

While the previous owner(s) had made it pretty "unique," I had already gathered parts to restore it back to mostly stock with only aftermarket wheels. That was until I drove a coyote car. It was easier to afford a new car payment than to shell out the money for a coyote swap in the '86. It was a nice car though, wish I could buy it back now, but dont have the garage space nor an understanding enough spouse.

DSCN1610.jpg
I understand the lure of the newer mustangs. They are beautiful cars. I was intending to buy a 2016 GT this coming fall myself.

What a nice car you had, I understand the regret of selling it. The newer mustangs have so much to offer in upgrades though, kind of hard to beat starting off with over 400 hp when you are just beginning to upgrade.

I have a bit of nostalgic craze in me for this car, it was made when I was 24. My oldest boy was one year old. I have four others now and five grandchildren. Maybe I'm reliving a simpler time for me?

I get a kick out of the old pushrod engines too.

I remember thinking how silly those t-tops were back then, now I love it.

Ah well, building this with my own hands has been a blast. After having been a painter for almost fourty years I'm finally putting a really nice paint job on my vehicle and not other people's rides. Kind of cool for me.

Tell you what brother, make that coyote of yours scream. What a bad*ss engine. One thing for you from experience, if you go wild with it, be sure to put a billet oil pump in it.

I'm doing this on a cash basis build for now, doing a coyote swap is something I salivate over, but cost too much at the moment. My youngest kid is thirteen, maybe when I get her little butt off to college I will be able to swing it then.

I'll post pictures as I do stuff. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I am.

Btw, a mustang II! Aaahhh! The only thing I liked about those restyled pintos was Farrah Fawcett when she was driving one in Charlie's Angels. At least we had Led Zepplin during those days, helped to overcome the disgusting vehicles we had. Lol

Thanks for posting though, I really like your old car.

Enjoying watching your build. I had an '86 GT for 10 years. I needed a truck so I traded it in on the all new F150 in '97. I shoulda kept the '86. Mine was White with T-tops and the red interior. I still like the looks better than my "new" '93 GT.

image.jpeg
Got the hood painted today, It will go into it's nice warm storage upstairs until about May or June now. Next week I'll get the fenders shot. Speis Hecker clear coat is extra sweet. Week after, the doors get shot and then finally I'll paint the body! Then I can start putting all of those new parts on the car. BTW, the weird spots on the hood are spots of clear I got on my phone's camera lense, they aren't on the hood.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I've been watching eBay for a set of shop manuals for my mustang. I finally landed a complete set for $73 including shipping last night! I bought a chilton's manual and it just doesn't have the detail I want, so I'm thinking this ought to give me enough brain power to remember where those buckets and buckets of pieces and parts go back to:thinking:.