my 5.0 wont start without starter fluid

slyfoxstang

Jan 6, 2010
Hey everyone. New to mustangs, and new to the site. I am having a problem with my 91 GT. I just bought the car about a month ago and have been doing a few minor things that needed attention before taking her out on her maiden voyage. I took it out probably 4 times in the past week....no problems. Then today I went to my job with it......its longest trip yet (about 30 miles) and after I shut it off and started it up and shut it off again, when I went to start it, it cranked but would not start. I then figured a quick check would be to spray some starter fluid into the intake. To my surprise it started right up and stayed running.....like nothing was wrong. So then I shut it off, and same thing. The next time I started it I took it out and beat it up a little, shut it off and same thing. Just will not start without the fluid. SOMEBODY HELP ME!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Thats what a friend of mine said.....I dont even know where to start!!!! Its a mess of vacuum lines and sloppyness under the hood. whoever had this thing had too many hands in it. Guess i will check it out better tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the suggestion. It makes sense.

I had not changed a thing. I did notice that when I was warming it up yesterday the idle was fluctuating up and down. Thought it might be a throttle position sensor or something like it.

The only thing u r doing differently is adding fuel on startup... Therefore the injectors are working, the iab is working, the coil is working, the dizzy, the maf, the blah blah blah blah. Why would you need an extra kick of gas on startup? You check the plugs? Does the fuel pump prime? Advance in timing like said before?

Timing is locked at base while cranking.

The MAF and IAC are possible issues IMHO because in order to spray ether into the intake, the MAF tubing is open and the throttle blade is cranked open to get the fluid in there......

clean your TB with with a rag if you use any cleaner make sure its TB cleaner
if the TB is dirty it will idle up and down and be hard to start also clean the Idle air control valve the same way with tb cleaner not carb cleaner!
that should fix your problem

Thanks for all the suggestions. And I will check them all to the best of my ability. What has me puzzled is that I went out this morning before work, cranked her over and it started right up......first crank. So when I got home I did the same thing....with the same result....it started right up first crank. I then let it warm up for like 30 min.....because it is like 20 degrees where I live.....shut it off.......and then started it back up. Same thing. started first crank. Whats up with that?????? Any more suggestions with the new info?

IMO I think your computer is starting to go, I had the same problem with my 1989.I changed the ign switch, fuel pump relay,and checked everything.I put a spare computer in the Mustang and it started right up and is still running

Sorry to revive a dead post, but did you ever find the answer?
The OP's status here is just as dead as his post...............
upload_2017-2-19_21-32-36.png