My 96 Cobra...not so venomous

QDRHRSE

Dec 31, 2002
Palmdale, CA
I just got my new (new to me) 96 Cobra registered and I’ve been driving it around. I’m a little shocked at how slow it is. Don’t get me wrong, it’s just not as fast as thought it would be. Thank god that I bought a vortech S trim for it! My ever so slightly modified gen2 Lightning absolutely annihilated the Cobra with everybody from my friend to my wife behind the wheel. Anybody have a 96-98 Cobra with an S trim on it? Vortech claims that the HP jumps to over 440 with the basic Cobra kit. I upgraded the kit a little so I hope that I can get between 475-500hp. I added a much smaller blower pulley that will give me 12lbs of boost instead of 6, an Anderson Power pipe, and a Pro-M. I sure hope it wakes the Slowbra up a little. Anybody?

• Sponsors (?)

QDRHRSE said:
I just got my new (new to me) 96 Cobra registered and I’ve been driving it around. I’m a little shocked at how slow it is. Don’t get me wrong, it’s just not as fast as thought it would be. Thank god that I bought a vortech S trim for it! My ever so slightly modified gen2 Lightning absolutely annihilated the Cobra with everybody from my friend to my wife behind the wheel. Anybody have a 96-98 Cobra with an S trim on it? Vortech claims that the HP jumps to over 440 with the basic Cobra kit. I upgraded the kit a little so I hope that I can get between 475-500hp. I added a much smaller blower pulley that will give me 12lbs of boost instead of 6, an Anderson Power pipe, and a Pro-M. I sure hope it wakes the Slowbra up a little. Anybody?
Get ready for it to blow up at 12psi. Internals on that motor are weak unless you changed them. A buddy of mine blew his motor on 9-10psi.

1fast03pony said:
I dont know man, i dont think 4.10 gears and a clean IMRC is gonna give the hp this dude is lookin for...

Do these things anyway, though, then add the vortech.
gummed up IMRC's usually kill like 20rwhp max, my cobra feels more alive after i cleaned mine up, big difference stock wise :nice:

I already have the Vortech and a fuel system in the garage. I'm not worried about blowing it up. I've got an SCT switch chip with mild, performance, and race tunes. I'll drive it with the mild tune pretty much all the time. It's detonation that kills the motors. The rods are terribly weak and when the motors detonate the rods break. It is really a problem with Lightnings. Anyway, how do I clean the IMRC's....what the hell are those? Can I run Seafoam through the motor or is the IMRC the gizmo(s) under the intake that I've heard alot about? I am mod motor challenged.