My car is F'ED UP!

anym22

May 15, 2005
Ok well, i dont care what anyone says or feels, I messed uo my car and i need some answers please. Its a 99gt, 3chamber flows, pypes o/r x-pipe, 3.55 gears, 70mm edlebrock t/b, mac cai, and thats it. Wel we were going a beamer pulled up next to us, we both go, oh yea and it has a mgw shifter and the gears are closed and i guess im inexpierenced so i missed third and hit first on accident. Car reved up not sure if it bounced off the rev limiter but it reved! after that we had it in 5th and the car started bogging in 5th gear at like 50mph so we oull over. The guy in the beamer was nice enough to pull over and see if everything was alright. He said he saw the back tires brake loose and he knew something was wrong cause he smoked us. The car bearly stays on. When in nuetral it wants to die but throws the rpms back up, sounds like we have a huge cam. And it boggs really bad when you drive whitch is almost impossible. Had to drive home with the hazards on. Some times it revs alright, and sometimes it wont rev past 2500. And its all really choppy and rough. Please help me, i know i ****ed it big time but i need some help

Im thinking its something with the feul, you can here the trottle body open but it sounds like just air, my friend said it runs like it has no gas, im hoping its simple like a clogged injector and i can move on and learn my lesson, can it be anything REALLY serious? It kinda acts like the iac is broken, it happened to my bros 97 cobra but driving his car w/o it wasent so ruough.

first place i would check would be all the hoses that connect to the plenum. i've forgot to plug one up before & it acts like that. also a bad/ unplugged maf could make the car act like that, but that isn't going to be your problem

christiesledd said:

good luck to ya, I'm no mechanic but it sounds bad

just cause things sound bad, doesn't always mean they are. i'm proof of that, cause it sounded like i spun a bearing last month & it ended up being bad detonation in one cylinder & all i needed was new spark plugs. so there is hope it isn't bad

christiesledd said:
yeah but racing and missing 3rd and going into 1st instead had to have some bad effect somewhere

I really hope nothing serious happened, But i also dont think anything too serious happened. We were able to drive a good 10 miles with it like this, not the 10 miles took like 30 minutes but we made it, If it was something internal i dont think it would even move.. or it would make a loud noise

I really dont know what happened, I guess i wasent concintrating on m shifting, this is like unheard of from me, i dont understand how i managed to do that, not even get a greind in the middle, but straight into 1st i feel so stupid

anym22 said:
so i missed third and hit first on accident. Car reved up not sure if it bounced off the rev limiter but it reved!

For what it's worth, the rev limiter will not save an engine being overspeeded by this kind of "incident". All the limiter can do is cut fuel to prevent a lead-foot from throttling the car into dangerous RPM ranges. Back driven...all bets are off.

I'm thinking cam drive...you may have stretched a chain, skipped a tooth etc. No knocking noises at all? Consider yourself lucky the backs broke loose maybe saving the rotating assemby!

If a quick visual doesn't show any hoses off you might want to dig deeper into checking cam timing if the thing continues to run as bad as you say.

just to be sure, go out & get a socket (18mm) & a wrench. put the car in neutral, then put the socket on the crank bolt & turn it. if you don't hear any noise coming from the engine then, the engine is most likely going to be fine

*edit* make sure to take the plugs out too

i know it isn't the exactly the same.. but the shop i used to work at was a porsche performance shop.. well a guy had a twin turbo i wanna say.. 911 or carrera.. i dunno not a porshe guy.. but anyways it was twin turboed and he did the same thing.. redlined 1st then 2nd then accidently went back to first.. and well he bent his valves.. so if all else fails take a look at that..

Thanks guys for the replys, i hope its nothing major like that, there is absolutly no engine clicking or anything like that, just a really bad idle, and almost no throttle response

I guess i am lucky the backs broke loose, it has 315/35/17 bfg kdw t/a's and they hook like crazy, but still a street radial, probably would have been a different story with dr's and such

We did do a quick visual on the hoses and stuff, also no leaking or anything coming from the engine i have the sct super chip programer so were gonna plug that in today and see if it can tell us, if not were just going to take it to jake lomata here in orlando, fl

I have a question, might sound kind of weird but stuff happens, is there anyway that my dad dosent have to find out about this? If it has something to do with the cam drive will a mechanic automatically say the car was overreved? I told my dad it stalled at a light, and then staarted acting like this on our way home, he thinks its something with the electronics, am i screwed if we take it to a shop or can this stuff happen from natural causes also? i dont want to die lol

ok well update, i guess last night was to dark to see, the maf got disconnected somehow and it runs fine now with the exception that when you shift gears it takes alittle for the rpms to drop, anyone know what could cause this problem? Thanks guys, i feel so lucky, never again anything dumb like this

i can't believe it was the maf. i just happened to mention it just due to symptoms, i would have no idea how that could have came loose. were you working on it before you took it out & had it unplugged? or did it just freakishly come unplugged?

How the heck does a MAF just become "accidentally" unplugged? I bet there are Mustangs slaughtered by Mack trucks that, if you could find the remnants of the MAF, you'd find the connector still latched in there.

Must not have been plugged in correctly I suppose.

I did the exact same thing with my '99 GT when it was pretty new. Nothing appeared to be wrong, but I ended up having to get some differential work, clutch packs, etc. replaced. Luckily, Ford did this all under warranty, no questions asked, and I'm not sure exactly what they did its been so long. I didn't have any engine damage, though. May want someone to check the rear-end when/if you have your fluid changed. I'm not 100% sure that is how I did it, but unless it was a factory defect then that is what did it.