My GOD the carbon,, 99GT,,intake swap,,Damn EGR PLEASE READ!

GSP

Apr 8, 2004
Huntsville, Alabama
OK,

65 K miles, all original, never worked on, auto, wife driver, pulled cracked plastic intake, easy job, only one hour to do,,,,and MY GOD the carbon buildup in the intake ports is terrible. I pressured up the EGR and it seals correctly so it has been working OK.

I need to get rid of this EGR. Please let me know about the: check eng light, limp mode,,,,,I have searched and I read many conflicting reports on these two subjects. Can I get a clear answer on this before I put her back together tomorrow?

I am fabricating a block off plate now for this POS EGR but do I need to by a programmer or clear the code if I get one?

I do have Alex C. Peper's OBDII Automotive Scan Tool and Virtual Dashboard PC interface with full real time control but I have not used it on my Mustang. Anyone know if I can turn off the EGR in the PCM with this software?

• Sponsors (?)

Simply put: EGRs ruin engines period... I have rebuilt to many of them do to excessive carbon build up from the EGR.

This is one subject that I do not care to get into so please just help on the "LIMP MODE".......DOES IT HAPPEN OR NOT?

Hey bro, your tuner will clear it no problem, and, NO there shouldnt be a limp mode in affect if you do.. have fun cleaning that **** out.....Sea Form does the trick pretty well if it gets worse..!

Well, job is done, plugged the EGR internally and still maintained the pressure sensor on the EGR up-pipe. This sensor is the one that triggers the code. So the system still thinks the EGR is receiving the necessary pressure but the EGR is completely disabled.

Not many people with the modular engine have plugged the EGR. I bet the carbon buildup is from the way the car was mostly driven. Short drives, a lot of stop & go. Using fuel injector cleaner every oil change will keep the carbon to a minimum. I know you're a mechanic and I'm not but give it a try.

GSP said:
Well, job is done, plugged the EGR internally and still maintained the pressure sensor on the EGR up-pipe. This sensor is the one that triggers the code. So the system still thinks the EGR is receiving the necessary pressure but the EGR is completely disabled.
Doing it that way will allow it to pass the self test, but you will eventually get a P0400 EGR Flow Faulty or P0401 Insufficient EGR Flow. You won't get a lean condition, but you will need to use a tuner or chip to set the egr_type paramater to "2" meaning none. I ran mine that way for a while with no problems other than the forementioned codes poping up periodically, until I found the right things to turn off with my tweecer.

mrvax said:
Not many people with the modular engine have plugged the EGR. I bet the carbon buildup is from the way the car was mostly driven. Short drives, a lot of stop & go. Using fuel injector cleaner every oil change will keep the carbon to a minimum. I know you're a mechanic and I'm not but give it a try.

This is usually the case after the fuel injectors, but fuel injector cleaners don't do much for upstream components. Seafoam works pretty well for these areas that get buildup do the egr and pcv systems.

GSP said:
I do not agree,,, there is less air flow into the plenum.

Before you start modding, you should understand how systems like EGR work.
By fooling the computer into thinking EGR is still working, it assumes a certain amount of the air in the cc is exhaust (ie - requires less fuel). Since you're actually pulling in that amount of fresh air, you'll run lean.

A programmer accounts for this, but just doing the mechanical side without accounting for the electronics is how you can potentially damage your engine.

I've run without EGR for about 2 years now in the Bullitt and it runs like a dream.

I would never consider modifying systems like EGR and, when buying a used Mustang, I siincerely hope that the seller reverses such cheesy mods before selling it to me :notnice:

I have put 100 miles on it with no error codes.

Before you start modding, you should understand how systems like EGR work.
By fooling the computer into thinking EGR is still working, it assumes a certain amount of the air in the cc is exhaust (ie - requires less fuel). Since you're actually pulling in that amount of fresh air, you'll run lean.

Wrong!

The Mass Air flow sensor (MAFS) will do its job as air is not pulling from egr but through the MAFS.

The volume of air through the EGR relative to the fresh air at steady state flow is less than 1% so the fuel adjustment say as an example 14:1 would be modified to 14:0.99,,,do big deal.

When the EGR is closed the EGR pressure sensor reads a given pressure, as the EGR opens and the resultant pressure drop is recorded and the PCM makes a small fuel adjustment. This delta in pressure is very small relative to the overall exhaust pressure.

I am not going to argue this with you. Believe what you wish. If i had a concern about it, I would slap on my spare PLX wideband temporarily. Just a waste or time to do so.

I have always wondered if turning the EGR off with the predator tuner really turns it off? Due to much debate I decided to leave mine on, but I am still curious.

From what I understand, the EGR has no purpose during WOT or idle when it is functioning, so I don't see any real purpose of turning it off except for possibly a cleaner engine. I could see a leaner condition during normal driving, but I don't think it would ruin the engine.

It won't immediately hurt anything, but over the long term it hans't been proven either way and I'm not playing guinea pig with mine of my customer's cars.

Since anyone serious about performance has a tuner or a dyno tune, we turn it off electronically, then it's up to the owner if they want to remove things mechanically.

It does drop some nice weight and clean up the intake tract, especially after a head or intake swap it helps keep everything clean.

GSP, agreed I'm not going to argue about it. Different cars have difference tolerances so hopefully your mod works out for ya.