my test drive - 2011 v6 - HELP

helpmebuyan11v6

Sep 30, 2010
alright i'll tell you what happened today at the dealership I went to look at the 5.0 mustang.

1. there were 3 cars lined up, none of which had the options i wanted. all of them had to be ordered from another city.

2. the 4.6L GT was selling for $3500 less than the 2010, which makes it a tough sell but the incompetent sales man didn't see it that way. he wasn't even familiar with electronic steering, brembo brakes or the 19" premium wheels package. basically they throw them out there to sell Lincolns and Fords with little insight into the actual product.

3. the mustang felt pretty cheap. all the panels and trims reminded me of foam and patio furniture. nothing like coming from a g37, or even a mk5 jetta.

I test drove the automatic 2011 V6 because he couldn't show me the 5.0 because some tech had the keys. So i was like "fine" and test drove it. the car is remarkably big but felt heavy and the exhaust was raspy. Either way the car is okay for $23,000. The cheap china spec tranny might have killed it for me.

Lets talk numbers. He quoted me at MSRP - $1000 ford cash back.

I said "this isn't a deal, it's MSRP" he gave me more bs like "tell me what you want to pay and i'll FIGHT my manager for you"

I said "look, i'll pay what you want, and you give me $12,500 for my jetta." knowing my jetta is $10,000 black book value and I can save $12,500 in sales tax (effectively making it $13,500.. more than I can get privately) he said after talking to the manager he would do it. So I figured if I didn't have a trade in, I could have easily lowered my offer to $2500 off MSRP since I believe they are giving me $2500 more for my trade in if I pay MSRP. Trade low buy low, trade high buy high.

Then I said i want it in grabber blue. So they had to order it. I asked how many miles would be on my car and he said "maybe 10 mi maybe 100" then I got into a huge argument with the managers about that, because no new car should have 100 miles on it unless it was a demo, which I am not okay with.

so now I have to bring my jetta in for appraisal. I'm sure the 5.0 is much faster, but I can't justify the extra $8 grand to have an extra 100hp and nicer exhaust. the 5.0 still comes with the same interior, same 17" wheels. 3.17 differential, and pretty much nothing extra than a base v6 except a nicer front fascia.

overall the dealership experience was kind of poor and everyone was hustling around pretending to be busy, even though they were dead.

What should I do? Should I go with a deal like this? How can I make this deal better?

• Sponsors (?)

Honestly, of you are considering a 5.0, you should test drive one. Then decide what you want.

As nice as the new 11 v6 is, I could easily justify 8 grand for a 5.0 to myself, but that's just me.

Maybe it's just me, but I won't do business with a dealership that jerks me around. Look for a different dealer imo.

As far as the Mk5 Jetta:

I have a 2003 Golf tdi (Mk4) what has been terribly unreliable. I've had to replace the head due to a camshaft break, replace the clutch due to the dual mass flywheel malfunction, untold number of electrical problems, etc. Even the headliner had become completely detached. As you may know it is VERY expensive to get work done by a competent diesel mechanic.

I hope you have not had these problems, but I can say for certain I will never purchase another VW.