My tire mounting ordeal

OrangeMustangGt

Founding Member
Mar 7, 2002
Cape Cod, MA
In the last couple of weeks, i have ordered up some new 18's for all around. I got some 265/35/18's for the front, and some 295/35/18's for the rear from tire rack.
Yesterday i made an app. at midas for them to get mounted, and i get there and they say "we dont do 18's"! i was like "wtf. i asked you on the phone yesterday" Anyway, i goto sears auto, and there is 8 cars ahead of me and its 35 a tire to have em done, so i said f this and went to another local tire shop, and everything was good untill he informs me that they charge $50 each to install tires not bought from them!!! WTF...
After this crap, i was so pissed i just went home, with my blank windshield, still with no inspection. Oh, and to top it off, at the bank i rubbed a curb and chewed up my rear pass. rim...dammit!

• Sponsors (?)

i had the same problems when i was getting my tires mounted and balanced, goodyear wanted like 30 and said there might be an oversized charge(wtf?), dealership said their too big and finally went to dunn tire and they did it for $23 or 25 a tire including new valve stems.

wtf $50 a tire??? Where I work if you get 4 tires mounted and balanced, it comes out to $50... Its $12.50 a tire mounted and balanced. Thoes places are ****in ripoffs! See if you can find a local service station that will mount/balance them for you.. It might be hard since they are 35 sidewalls :nonono: even 45's are a bitch to get on...

they just dont want to mount low profile tires like you have . kinda a bitch if they dont have have the right machine and there being wimmoy about it. sucks

GreenMustangGt said:
its 35 a tire to have em done, so i said f this and went to another local tire shop, and everything was good untill he informs me that they charge $50 each to install tires not bought from them!!! WTF.

Thats cheap, cost me $70 to mount my front tires and $120 to mount my rear tires. Special mounting machine so that it would not scuff the chrome and sick on weights.

ya if your worried about the rims you need to find a place that has the machine with the plastic end piece on the arm were it sits on the rim for the bar. is that a hunter u guys got for 11k?

BPA said:
ya if your worried about the rims you need to find a place that has the machine with the plastic end piece on the arm were it sits on the rim for the bar. is that a hunter u guys got for 11k?
no, i forget the brand, but it has like 8 joysticks, picks the tire up and puts it on the holder, automatically breaks the beads and rolls it off. it's amazing all you have to do is pull a few levers and takes off even the piggest pain the ass tire. just did a 285/35/18 rft on a Z8 today in like 3 min!

i always hate doing the 18's ...sounds pretty sick. i keep telling the boss we need one of the hunter alignment machines that you dont have to lift the car to do the compensation for. tools like that machine save a lot of time.

BPA said:
i always hate doing the 18's ...sounds pretty sick. i keep telling the boss we need one of the hunter alignment machines that you dont have to lift the car to do the compensation for. tools like that machine save a lot of time.
BMW's have a special hub adaptor that fits inside these special holes in the wheels so that you don't have to compensate the heads, and we get 2.0 to do an alignment. i almost feel bad, almost.

i just went thru the same thing. i only paid 60 total tho. ive been freakin out all day cuz i thought i was rubbing in the rear, but after talking to my friend (helped put them on) he said they were like that before we put em on. freakin guy at the tire shop was saying "ive been doing this for years, dont worry ill take care of u. :notnice: wanker!

look at the sidewalls and u can see white rub marks..
View attachment 513475

2.0!!!! i need to stop working on volvo's..ha ha we only get 1.3-1.5... w/p or c/p? i work some ex bmw guys and they say our stuff is pretty easy for the most part but every car line has quirks and crappy models.

BPA said:
2.0!!!! i need to stop working on volvo's..ha ha we only get 1.3-1.5... w/p or c/p? i work some ex bmw guys and they say our stuff is pretty easy for the most part but every car line has quirks and crappy models.
warranty, c/p all the same. i used to wrench on volvos when i was in school and can say that bimmers are much easier to wrench on, but much more difficult to diag. picture this, take an '02 S80, add about 25 more control modules, then plop a whole bunch of fiber optics on it and you have one heeping pile aka 745. i worked on f-15's when i was in the air force and can say that a 745 is more difficult to diag.

ya i hear the 745's do suck to work on. we have the canbus and about 20 or 30 control modules depening on model ,like the xc90's .some of our fault tracing is limited so it really pays to undersand how the systems work togeather, but that goes without saying. we finally got a yamaha V8, t6 just didnt hack it compaired to your v8's for sales or power for an suv.

Suspect said:
i just went thru the same thing. i only paid 60 total tho. ive been freakin out all day cuz i thought i was rubbing in the rear, but after talking to my friend (helped put them on) he said they were like that before we put em on. freakin guy at the tire shop was saying "ive been doing this for years, dont worry ill take care of u. :notnice: wanker!

look at the sidewalls and u can see white rub marks..
View attachment 513467

Where did you get those from? Any pics of them on?

I paied like $170CAD ($125 approx?) to get my tires mounted and balanced. Seemed high but what ever I wanted it done then haha.

Your mad that you hit a curb, good thing you didnt have your nice wheels on, id be happy!