Narrowed it down to 2 combo's,need Help!

• Sponsors (?)

willys1 said:
Not to change the subject(hey wait a minute,its my thread :D ) you hit the nail on the head about the hp rating on the afr 165's(41hp) what do you think canfields are?They make a set specifically for 5.0's.

Hmm...are you referring to the Canfield 192's? If so those are kind of like the equivalent to the AFR 185's (a bit much IMO)...but I don't know what kind of power gains...it doesn't appear many people run those on their 302's...usually on strokers/351's...

You'll be happy with either of your choices :nice: ...and the AFR/intake combo won't take much in tuning...you could do it yourself even though a dyno tune is always nice...but if your spending your money on suspension/dyno tune your still spending money so your not saving any...

willys1 said:
If I go with the thumpers,could I get rid of the tail pipes,or cats? Or am I gonna still need back pressure with the stock cam?
If your gonna take it all way down to the heads its only about 1 hour more work to install a cam. You can do it with motor in the car. But if you decide to keep the stock cam. Go with a off road h pipe. Youll benifit from that.

5.0Droptop said:
If your gonna take it all way down to the heads its only about 1 hour more work to install a cam. You can do it with motor in the car. But if you decide to keep the stock cam. Go with a off road h pipe. Youll benifit from that.
Thats why Im askin,,I have a BBK off rd h-pipe,but took it off because I lost alot of bottom end torque!!

willys1 said:
Thats why Im askin,,I have a BBK off rd h-pipe,but took it off because I lost alot of bottom end torque!!

when you install the thumpers your gonna have bottom end out the @zz! :D

rsw007 said:
the thumpers will flow more than the stock ported lower will flow so i suggest a better intake. the low end wont suffer much with your converter.

Actually, I can get the stock lower to flow more than 210+cfm, but it doesn't make sense to do that since the upper will limit total flow to the mid 190cfm range. My "standard" port work on a lower was flow tested at 195 cfm average.

5.0Droptop's SOTP was verified in 2 dynos of Rio5.0's Thumper headed Steeda #19 cammed car. He went from my ported lower and his massaged inlet (65mm) upper 95 intake to a Cobra intake. Average power over the 3,000-6,000 rpm band was virtually identical with the ported stocker making more power up to 4,200 rpm and the Cobra making more power to 6,000 rpm.

tmoss said:
Actually, I can get the stock lower to flow more than 210+cfm, but it doesn't make sense to do that since the upper will limit total flow to the mid 190cfm range. My "standard" port work on a lower was flow tested at 195 cfm average.

5.0Droptop's SOTP was verified in 2 dynos of Rio5.0's Thumper headed Steeda #19 cammed car. He went from my ported lower and his massaged inlet (65mm) upper 95 intake to a Cobra intake. Average power over the 3,000-6,000 rpm band was virtually identical with the ported stocker making more power up to 4,200 rpm and the Cobra making more power to 6,000 rpm.
Looks like I just saved 500 beans on a new intake :nice: Hey Tom,could I now lose the cats or take my tail pipes off? or will I still need some back pressure for the low end?

willys1 said:
Looks like I just saved 500 beans on a new intake :nice: Hey Tom,could I now lose the cats or take my tail pipes off? or will I still need some back pressure for the low end?

I tried to tell you.... :shrug: :p

willys1 said:

In most cases some level of backpressure produces best torque and power for a street combination. It would be hard for me to say if that was a good move or not. Different mufflers have varying amounts of pack pressure too. Most people have to experiment to find the right amount.

Edit: A graphic of an excel spreadsheet I made of both dynos can be found in the "My Garage" link under my avatar. Too bad the Cobra dyno started at 3,000rpm or you have seen how much better a ported stocker is below 3,000 rpm.

tmoss said:
In most cases some level of backpressure produces best torque and power for a street combination. It would be hard for me to say if that was a good move or not. Different mufflers have varying amounts of pack pressure too. Most people have to experiment to find the right amount.
I love experiments with noisy (but nice noisy) exhaust systems!! Im getting a catted x-pipe from Bassani,,with the new all Metal cats :nice: It should flow alot more,Im getting sick of the h-pipe drone :notnice:

Knowing what I know now, I would have gone with the TMOSS over the Edelbrock Performer when I first did the heads. I know the Edelbrock is better BUT I could have saved $400 and have been further down the road with other mods. Now that I am where I am, I am glad I have the Edelbrock intake.