Need '68 coupe courtesy lamp fuse location please help

jerthemost

Sep 9, 2012
I have a 68 coupe. My dome light does not work. There is no voltage to the door switches. I have a good wiring diagram and it shows a fuse in-line in the diagram. All other fuses in the diagrams are shown to be in the main fuse block right above gas pedal. All 5 of those fuses are good. There must be a different fuse located somewheere else for the courtesy lights. Does anyone out there know?

Thanks for any help.

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 68 coupe. My dome light does not work. There is no voltage to the door switches. I have a good wiring diagram and it shows a fuse in-line in the diagram. All other fuses in the diagrams are shown to be in the main fuse block right above gas pedal. All 5 of those fuses are good. There must be a different fuse located somewheere else for the courtesy lights. Does anyone out there know?

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

I too have a 68 coupe. I do not remember ever finding an inline fuse when working on mine. I looked at two different wiring diagrams that I have and they do not show any inline fuses. Are the rest of the lights on that fuse/circuit working? If so then it sounds like you may have a broken wire along the way.

Craig

Check this diagram http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/...stang/Wiring/1968/?action=view&current=E8.jpg

Your dome light power is sourced from the headlight switch. When you rotate the headlight switch knob, it turns a rheostat that controls the dimmer and there should be a click position that turns the dome light on when the doors are closed. This is a common part of the switch to fail. Sometimes the rheotstat wiper breaks off due to normal wear and tear-and it may "appear" to look ok, but there should be a little pad on the wiper arm that contacts the rheostat coil-if it breaks off, you will not have a dome light. If you have no voltage at the door switch on either pin, then you need to go back to the headlight switch-make sure all you lights work as well. Also, I have seen the connectors on the headlight switch push into the body of the headlight switch when the large harness plug is pushed onto the switch causing this exact problem...instead of sliding into the harness plug/connector.

Check this diagram http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii313/Barnstang/Wiring/1968/?action=view&current=E9.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii313/Barnstang/Wiring/1968/?action=view&current=E8.jpg

Your dome light power is sourced from the headlight switch. When you rotate the headlight switch knob, it turns a rheostat that controls the dimmer and there should be a click position that turns the dome light on when the doors are closed. This is a common part of the switch to fail. Sometimes the rheotstat wiper breaks off due to normal wear and tear-and it may "appear" to look ok, but there should be a little pad on the wiper arm that contacts the rheostat coil-if it breaks off, you will not have a dome light. If you have no voltage at the door switch on either pin, then you need to go back to the headlight switch-make sure all you lights work as well. Also, I have seen the connectors on the headlight switch push into the body of the headlight switch when the large harness plug is pushed onto the switch causing this exact problem...instead of sliding into the harness plug/connector.
shouldn't the dome light work when a door is opened irregardless of the headlight switch? When i say inline fuse i mean on the wiring diagrams it is shown in the diagram by itself instead of in a fuse block. all of the rest of the fuses are shown in a fuse block above the gas pedal.

Check this diagram http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii313/Barnstang/Wiring/1968/?action=view&current=E9.jpg#!oZZ2QQcurrentZZhttp://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii313/Barnstang/Wiring/1968/?action=view&current=E8.jpg

the diagram you posted a link to is the same one i have. See the fuse shown inline in the circuit there on line 37A? Where is that fuse located?

Sorry, got off on a tangent. Dimmer controls the dash lights,not the dome lights or courtasy lights. But when you turn the rheostat to the click position with the doors closed, it will close 2 contacts in the headlight switch to send power to the courtasy lights bypassing the door jamb switches. Anyway, I have never seen that fuse in any harness, but that does not mean its not there. You need to get a 12v test light and start looking for where you are losing the 12v. If you are not getting 12v at the door jamb switches, then the next logical place to check is the headlight switch.