need a new flexplate

jonfor

Apr 20, 2009
Columbus, GA
my car is built out of a frankenstein collection of used parts and i'm currently working through a few issues. the biggest issue that is keeping me off road is that i have a new engine ('87 HO for a manual transmission) with a 28oz flexplate turning a who-knows-what C4. i'm getting quite a bit of vibration, so i have not been running the engine until it is fixed.

here is my question:

what flexplate should i get? a 50oz small type (15x teeth) like this one:

Click here for $125 on my credit card

while the transmission is out i'm getting a new "mild" TC to match my '93 GT cam and the transmission rebuilt by a guy that builds racing transmissions. not that it will be a "racing transmission", but because this guy seems to be the best-cheapest-honest around and i like to have a "bump" between gears. future plans are for a T5, but 2010-2011 will be lean years for me financially.

any ideas or advise would be welcome.

• Sponsors (?)

Summit Racing ...........TCI Flexplate P/N 529610 : $83.95

done! the guy called tonight and said my C4 is out, apart, and is one of the nicer ones? but it is overdue to be built.

Check this one. It's $45.00 and does the job for new roller 302's 50 oz.
It's S.F.I. 29.1 approved (tested to 12,500 RPM).

KMJ Performance*::*FORD*::*FLEXPLATES*::*Ford SFI Flexplate 157 Tooth 50 oz - 302 5.0L C4 sbf

i ordered before i saw your post, but thanks anyway. how do you keep your car clean and dent free on that island? my in-laws and extended family lives in the metro area and i would cringe at driving one of my cars down there. i miss the food though!

done! the guy called tonight and said my C4 is out, apart, and is one of the nicer ones? but it is overdue to be built.

i ordered before i saw your post, but thanks anyway. how do you keep your car clean and dent free on that island? my in-laws and extended family lives in the metro area and i would cringe at driving one of my cars down there. i miss the food though!

I have a "Car Tiltler" from Liqui Tech .After shows we tilt the car side ways 90 degrees and with the help of "ZOOP" on all the chrome it's a 2hr job to make it new again.

update: i picked up my car this afternoon from the transmission shop with a fresh "built for abuse" C4 today. it certainly has a better shift and no red oil pouring out the bottom, but the big difference is that now i have the correct flexplate and the difference driving the car is amazing. well, the engine seems way too smooth, if that's possible -because of my daily beater, i'm used to a little rumble at idle. so thanks for the help.

little by little it is coming together to be a driver this spring. next issue, when it warms up outside, will be tuning since it feels like it is a little low on power. now that all the stuff required to make it roadworthy is done, i have to get downtown and buy plates!