Need a solution on my fender rub on my 2004 GT

colbytrain

Apr 7, 2019
Dallas
Hey guys, first post here. I'm needing some assistance on fixing an issue with fender rub on my 2004 GT I just purchased from the original owner. He had the vehicle dropped 1.5" back in 2005 he said and had the rear fenders cut. Looks like it wasn't done very good and he had 18-10, 295 wheels tires put on the rear and 18-9, 265 on the front. Please excuse me if I say anything wrong as I don't know much about working on mustangs or cars in general. Anyway, I've been driving all week and have noticed on inclines and declines that I get substantial wheel rub and today I noticed my back tire, primarily the back drivers side tire getting cut up by contacting the cut edge. Can anybody suggest a solution to help me? I love the look/stance of the vehicle but I need to figure something out before I get new wheels and now tires and ultimately a new paint job.
cut.jpg
?hash=48652c9ff83501ed7ef9f826bf2ee6d4.jpg
cut2.jpg

Attachments

• mus3.jpg
    mus3.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 211
  • stang.jpg
    stang.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

Probably an incorrect offset on your wheels. I run a lowered 2002 saleen with 285's all around on 18 x 9.5 wheels with no rubbing front or back. I'm running +20 up front and +40 in back. No cut lips. Hope this helps

Attachments

• saleen 3132019 005.JPG
    saleen 3132019 005.JPG
    422.6 KB · Views: 244
Probably an incorrect offset on your wheels. I run a lowered 2002 saleen with 285's all around on 18 x 9.5 wheels with no rubbing front or back. I'm running +20 up front and +40 in back. No cut lips. Hope this helps
Yeah, what does an incorrect offset mean? I'm just thinking of taking out the spacers that I just learned were on there as well, like 5mm spacers. I'm also thinking of just doing the same wheel diameter all the way around to make in more cost effective for tire rotation and such.

Rolling the fender inner lip is a safer and neater way of making tire room. It does not leave a jagged edge to cut the tire like this.
Bill Engvall needs to give the PO a sign. I do not know that there is sufficient material to support the fender edges now.