NEED ADVICE FROM COMMUNITY MEMBERS

50Liam

Apr 7, 2020
Antioch
I drive an '89 Mustang GT automatic
I got in a front end collision last year and the damage went all the way to the fan, completely dented the radiator support. I replaced all necessary parts, fan radiator, ac condenser, welded front end back on and put in a new front bumper and hood. The car runs good and doesn't overheat, nothing leaks, and no weird noises anywhere, but I took the car to a local mechanic shop to get hood pins installed and just get the car checked out, and the shop basically told my dad when he picked up the car that there is 4000 dollars in repairs that needs to be addressed and that the car is dangerous to drive, he said there was a list of things wrong with the engine or the firewalls, but my Dad didn't save the list. Anyone know any potential problems or risks after a front end collision, Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Or you could take it back to the shop and have them point out the problem areas.
4k in damage to engine/firewall is a lot, there are 'crush' points in the frame that is designed into to do just that. Crush.
Get a flash light and look in front and back of the shock towers down by the frame.
I also believe if it was 'dangerous ' to drive because of the damage you would feel it.
Maybe get a second opinion.

Yep what they said. Get it to a reputable collision shop and have them look at it. They may have to remove the front cover, fenders, battery, air box etc to really get a good look and give you a written estimate. That's what I would do here at my shop. The car needs to go up on a frame machine and get measured like Steve Patton said. If they are talking about 4k, it may have pretty extensive structural damage. Aprons, rails, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
It seems to me that if it had that much damage something would be obvious to the eye. Unless of course it's a warped frame.

Poor man's frame checker. Wet a spot in your drive way wider than the car. Drive through it straight. Measure how wide the tracks are that the car leaves. If it's really bad you'll know!

When I was a kid we had an old Lincoln. It was so bad it nearly put down four tracks when going in a straight line. We figured that out one year after in had snowed.