Need advice on best A/C kit for '70

whatagearhead

Feb 10, 2007
Chandler, AZ
The 70 coupe my son and I are putting together for him will be his everyday car. We live in Phoenix and good A/C is a necessity. We are about ready to drop in the '89 5.0/5 spd and will be using the 5.0's serpentine setup which includes the A/C compressor. There was an old in dash aftermarket setup in the car, but I'm thinking we should swap out the old evaporator and start from scratch with a whole new set-up.

I'm looking for advice on what is the best Evaporator set-up to use in the car. I want to get him something that includes heat, A/C and Defrost. There are a handful of kits out there to choose from and I want to go with what will provide the best cooling and do the best job. I'm hoping to have him on the road here in the next 4-6 weeks and want to get something ordered.

Thanks in advance, Tom

• Sponsors (?)

I installed the Classic Auto Air, Perfect fit system a couple of years ago on my daily driver. No problems.

I ordered the Classic Auto Air kit today for my son's car. They have a bracket that allows the usage of the stock '89 5.0 serpentine system which we are using.

These kits are popular with the C3 Corvette crowd as well (my son has the mustang - I have a '69 vette) and I am planning to order a "direct fit" kit for my car in a few months (I am in the middle of a frame-off resto-mod project).

Good to hear you have a couple years on your system and are happy with it - thanks for the feedback. :nice: