Need Advice On Project Mustang

RJ70

Jan 17, 2018
I just recently found a listing for a 1970 Mustang Coupe (I believe it's the coupe model) and I've always wanted to drive a classic muscle car, but it's in pretty rough shape. The author of the post said it runs but the interior is rusty and I assume the trunk is worse. This doesn't bother me though because my goal has always been to buy an older classic and fix it up so I can learn through the process.

The point is, they're asking $2500 for it and I don't know if that's a good deal or not for a project car (even if it is a mustang) because I've never really done this before.

Another thing I was curious about is if anyone here could give me a rough estimate of what it will take to fix it up to decent shape. It will need interior door panels, carpeting and flooring done (however that works), the front bumper is missing some of the accessories like the grill and lights and such, and there is a possibility I might have to weld some new panels on if the rust is bad enough. The paint job is just a flat black that looks fine for now but I'll probably redo later, and the engine is going to be a part by part replacement project so I'm not looking for estimates on that either.

I'm new to this so any advice you have is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang 1.jpg
Mustang 2.jpg
Mustang 3.jpg

These are the only three pictures that came with the original post. I asked them to take more and send them to me, so I'll post those when I get them.

well it's a 6 so that is the least valuable. So the deciding factor is how much rot. You need pix of the entire underneath. It's a unibody so it's not easy to fix, everything has to be cut out and welded in and has to remain perfectly straight while you are doing it. I always recommend to a noobe, if you want to restore a car, start with a car from the 40's, or a pickup up to the 50's. If you survive that, you will learn a lot on a simple restore and you can sell it and get what you want. Unibody's are a pain in the ass to work on.

the rust i see in the pictures seems to be surface rust, and thus not really a problem. i would however investigate further, tap the rust areas with a screwdriver with a bit of force, if the blade punches through then the panel needs replacing, and not really a job for a novice, depending on how bad the rust is. if you can cut and weld, that makes things easier though.

the six can be made to make some decent power while maintaining decent fuel economy, so if you decide to get the car, and want to keep the six, let me know, i can help or point you in the right direction. it does look like it has the 250 though, and that is good actually.

i dont think this car is worth $2500, $1500-1800 is more like it imo. if you buy this car though, have a plan for what you want this car to be before turning wrench one. i would also make sure that you have all the parts before buying the car as well.

@rbohm thank you for your advice as well. Unfortunately the car sold before I had a chance to actually go look at it or make an offer but your advice was still very appreciated regardless. If I have questions in the future about something like this, I'll be sure to let you know.