Need carbon canister to upper intake vacuum line - What size/length? Where to get?

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
Arkansas
Well my vaccum line from my smog canister to my upper intake (the one on the left) is all "vulcanized" and is in no good of shape with all the heat that has been getting to it. It tears way to easy when I try to put it on my Performer intake...I need a new one? What size and how long...I need as little down time as possible with all the little parts I'm gathering (this being one of them) because this is my only car...so I would like to have it handy and "on site"...anybody?

Thanks for any suggestions :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

I don't know -- just cut a 2" piece off, and take it to Pep Boys. Autozone or what have you, and get three or four feet of the same size. Probably 5/16". Take it home and cut it to fit. They sell if off reels by the foot, and you should be able to get it for $2-3.

The line isn't in to good of shape...and if I had 2 inches of the vacuum line to cut off I would...but it is almost a straight shot becasue the line has tore so many times due to it's condition that I have like no play on it...

Thanks for the reply:nice:

Whats up man, weve talked a lot about this line lately...

Did it rot out all the way up to where the sensor hooks to the fuel rail???
It should still be a separate line though from that sensor.

I agree with above, just figure out what size it is, and get them to cut you the length you need. Mine was nothing but hollow tube going to the purge valve it seemed.

What is it with this freaking line lately :notnice:

If you need it, I can measure mine tomorrow. Ive got to figure out what size O rings I need for that fuel fitting. If that fails, Ill have to order the lines from a shop in NY, none of the local ford dealers have them.

StangLou said:
sorry bout that, g/f didnt log out of her name lol, that was my post!!!

Lol...I was wondering...I started reading that post first and was like "do I know this person?" :rlaugh: Okay...I gotcha now :nice:

Yeah I know, this line has been a hot topic for you and me...

the vaccum line is bad closer to the intake (because of the heat) and when I'll pull the upper intake off for various reasons the line will break off on the little bung it connects to on the intake. It is hard to get to on the Performer...it is up in there :bang:

Don't do anything that is to troublesome... :)

I think I need to go check out the local parts stores and see what kind of lines they offer to give me a better idea :shrug: I was just hoping there was a set or part number for that specific line :nice:

Ill take a tape measure out once I recover from tonight :nice:
You can try this part # from Ford 381220-S.
I think its an almost identical line, but Ill shoot ya measurements once I head out to tackle my fuel leak issues!!!

StangLou said:
Ill take a tape measure out once I recover from tonight :nice:
You can try this part # from Ford 381220-S.
I think its an almost identical line, but Ill shoot ya measurements once I head out to tackle my fuel leak issues!!!

No rush on the measurements...thank you. :nice:

I never did check on the fuel line availability (I seen you made a thread on it)...how did that go? Get any "good" answers?

Hey der 5spd..
I know this may sound drastic, but I would not hesitate to go to the autoparts store and get yourself 5ft each of the common sizes of vac line. Once you have all the bases covered you can not only replace that line, but all the fragile and suspect lines to prevent future failure. I spent somewhere round 8 hours one night replacing, and surprise I found a broken line JUST inside the passenger side fender well. During the same period I also found my HEGO ground was not connected..both issues fixed, and again SURPRISE..my little long standing idle issue was GONE. Yes it is overkill, but you may save yourself some heartache..or stumble over an issue you were not even aware of.
D.

Finding that fuel line is like a needle in a haystack. Ford quit carrying them in '01 :rolleyes: . They were helpfull though. I got a number to a shop in NY that has a couple sets left, Im going to try and call them in a bit if the shop I go to doesnt have any on their junk cars.

Here are your measurements to the best of my ability :D.

That hose has a Diameter of 3/8's. Id say get you at least 4ft to be safe. The Diameter of the hole is 1/4" it seems. Hope that helps some. If ya need anything else, let me know. Mines down and out till I get those lines :bang: