Need help ASAP! Just paid $1400 for t5 rebuild!

I just had the same thing done it my car, with my knowledge though. Super alloy gear set, rebuild kit, king cobra clutch, firewall adjuster, resurface flywheel, labor to rebuild tranny, $200 to a mechanic friend to help me install it all, and rear main seal and misc bolts all came to just under 1400.....so i'd say you didn't that badly, it just sucks that you didn't know what was going on until it was done.

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang5L5 said:
Usually when the input shaft fails, they refer to the teeth that drive the counter gear shearing off. When this happens, you lose every gear except 4th gear. Now grinding into 4th could mean the dog teeth on the input shaft are worn. This would mean you need a new one since the teeth are part of the shaft

Also, if this shop knew anything about Mustang trans, they would know to swap out the 8 tooth speedo drive gear with a 7 tooth speedo drive gear and run a red 21-tooth speed gear. This is what you do to avoid running the white 23-tooth gear...which will shear a lot because the teeth are so thin. Anyone who has a 90+ T-5 apart should replace their 8 tooth with a 7 tooth automatically.

Popping out of first means bad dog teeth on the gears. Grinding is usually worn synchro blocker rings.

New 1st gear = $85
new 1-2 slider = $85
Typical T-5 rebuild kit = $200
New Input Shaft = $150

That's about $550 in parts. Toss in another $100 for markup.

That's about $750 for labor which includes pulling and installing the trans.

SOunds expensive, but that's about right.

I agree....the speedo gear is something I do to EVERY tranny I build to avoid issue further down the road. Last time I bought all new internals, counter shaft, imput, 2nd and 3rd gear cluster, rebuild kit with all new bearings I had just about $550 in parts out.

The $420 for the main shaft properly is the counter shaft and imput shaft prices combined, labor really isn't to far off with everything they did.

Micheal Yount said:
Any competent shop SHOULD inspect the clutch/flywheel and rear main seal while they've got the tranny pulled. I'd be upset if they DIDN'T take a look at that.

$1400 for a clutch job (including pulling and resurfacing the flywheel), a completely rebuilt tranny is simply not unreasonable. You might not be able to afford it - but the shop's not out of line with their charges. Only you and your parents know if the communication that took place between the shop and you regarding what you wanted done/replaced is appropriate. If there was no communication at all about the clutch (did you specifically tell them don't replace/rebuild anything without contacting me first?) -- that does seem inappropriate to me. I believe they should have contacted someone and said - hey, the clutch appears to be close to the end of it's service life - it would be silly not to replace it while we're in here -- it'll cost MUCH more as a separate job a year from now. I'm still curious what role your parents played in that communication circle. But if you think there was no communication at all about the clutch I'd sure ask them why they saw fit to replace it without your permission. I'd also like to know how you knew the clutch had at least half it's life left - especially if you've been beating on it. Which your comments about break-in seem to allude to.

Oh - new tranny's usually feel notchy compared to well worn/broken in gears/synchros.

:nice: YES right on Micheal

Blownstang, They should have called but it would be best to talk to them very rationally on Tuesday when they open to see if they DID talk with anyone about your clutch or what their reasoning is.
If I run into something major while working on a car or find something that will cause a huge increase in price I always give the customer a call to see what they want me to do. It's just a good practice...

"its I dont understand why I was never contacted about the cost of the entire job,"

As I mentioned in my other posts - you've got a legitimate beef if they didn't contact you. Looks like you'll be having a talk with them on Tues. What's a new World Class T5 cost these days - $1200-1400?

"its I dont understand why I was never contacted about the cost of the entire job,"

As I mentioned in my other posts - you've got a legitimate beef if they didn't contact you. Looks like you'll be having a talk with them on Tues. What's a new World Class T5 cost these days - $1200-1400? Oh - I think there's a 6 tooth drive gear that reduces the number of teeth on the driven gear even more - making for longer lasting driven speedo gears. Plenty of people have trouble with the 21 tooth gear as well. If you can get it down the 19, you're doing better.