Need help identifying

Shuttleman83

Jun 30, 2019
USA
97 GT front end noise over bumps, mild still drives the same - get under and look and notice the small light green rubber feeling thing is gone right on lower control arm (just a circle washer that spins on front right is there, bolts appear tight nothing else missing -- front left still has green rubber piece intact albeit looks a bit worn. What is this? Necessaey Bushing or some damper for noise / bounce? Is it necessary for safety or is it ok to drive until i get cash? I just want to be safe til I acquire cash.

Last edited:
  • Sponsors (?)

I think I narrowed it to end link bushings lower one .... is it ok to drive like this with one on the left intact and one missing on front right? Is labor cheap? Could I do this myself with just a basic jack? Pack of them is like only $15.

Yes, sounds like an anti-sway bar link. I must have the same ones, because my bushings are also green. If the nuts are loose or the bushing is worn/missing you will absolutely get the clunk you are describing.

Do you know how to change the brakes on your car yourself? Do you have a basic set of tools? If yes to both, you can handle the end links.

End links should definitely have 4 isolators per side: above and below the control arm, and above and below the sway bar. As for safe to drive, it should be; the sway bar just helps control body roll. I might not push it that hard until you replace it, but it shouldn't be an issue.

^What he said lol. You beat me to it Tsemmett.

If one of your links is broken the car will be much looser feeling in corners. Don't try to set any lap records on the way to and from work until you get it fixed. I'm surprised you're only hearing a thud sound since it's metal on metal contact. Check the sway bar bushings and ball joints as well since you're under there.

As far as I can tell both end links are fine, tight, but the one bushing is missing on right bottom. Left is still intact. I checked ball joint yesterday, felt tight with no play.