need help picking donor car

91_4ourBanger

Feb 8, 2004
i should be goin to the junkyard in a few weeks and i want a turbo coupe engine, i want the most power from the stock engine being as i wont do too many modifications. i do want to be able to have a FMIC eventually. so what should i look for? and i plan to buy an entire car. btw its for a 91 DP head with an automatic, but i want to put in a 5spd.

• Sponsors (?)

However, if you want to swap rears to get the 8.8 w/ 3.55 gears and rear disk brakes you would want the 87-88 TC. I bought an entire 88TC so that I could take my time, make sure I got everything I need, and use every available part possible from the car.

Mike

fyi, the 87-88 TCs have a hydraulic clutch. You could use this or get regular 2.3 stuff for the clutch assembly (I don't know what's all interchangeable between the two setups)

edit: one way to quickly check a turbo is to wiggle the shaft around. you want as little play/wiggle as possible.

87-88 TCs are usually considered the best donors but they have a smaller, faster-spooling IHI turbo instead of a T3. They also have an intercooler but a lot of people seem to ditch those for something better anyways (or front-mount it)--it would be no good in its stock location in a mustang.

one more thing, all efi 2.3s are pretty much the same, it's just the stuff on it that changed (VAM, injectors, intake, etc.).
If you haven't you might want to take a gander at turboford.org to gather some more info