Need help re: Racing Stripes

ChldsPlay

Aug 16, 2005
My car should be ready in a few weeks at the dealer, and I'm planning on getting some racing stripes put on, and I've been doing research, but am not sure how I should go about it. I've seen people say you should definately have them painted on. I've seen people say Vinyl is fine, and cheaper too. I know I don't like the stripes Ford has. I want ones a bit wider, spaced farther apart, and actually go all the way down the bumpers. Maybe even pinstripes on the side. Kinda like the Transformers Alternator Wheeljack for those of you who know what that is, just wider and more space like I said earlier. Today, my brother in law who is in to cars a lot more than me suggested the vinyl, but with a clear coat put on top of it. He said I shouldn't ruin a new factory pain job by painting them on. So...can anyone tell me the best way to go? Price is somewhat important, but I'm willing to do more expensive if it's not too much difference. I've seen some people say it should be $500-$1000 to paint, but then some people paying $1500-$2000, which to me is just way too high. $500 maybe, probably not more.

• Sponsors (?)

it depends on your location. some areas you are able to find someone to paint them on for cheap. i know someone who wouldnt paint it for $2000. i would for about $1000. there are some vinyl places that would charge over $1000 for the stripes. the vinyl is rated as a 5 year product. it depends on how your car is used/stored also. if you keep it in the garage most of the time, you could probably get more life out of the vinyl. i personally prefer the painted stripes, but you have to find a good person to do them it is easier to mess them up (crooked lines, bleed through on the tape edges, etc). vinyl will give you a good cut on all the edges, because they are computer cut. paint has more human error. it is also best to remove many parts from your car, so the paint comes out good. if you want stripes on the bumpers, you need to remove them. how about the spoiler? remove that too, as well as the hood squirters, decklid badge, ets. theres alot more labor in the paint and most people would just mask around most of these items, because they are too lazy to remove them. the choice is yours, but i think painted on is better. you can also clear over them and sand out the tape line, so it is smooth. if you clear over vinyl stripes, you risk damaging the vinyl when you are scuffing them, and have a higher chance of the paint peeling over the vinyl stripes.

sorry this is a long post, but these are a few things to consider when doing stripes.