Need help with brake lines, pics.

ttopstang

Sep 6, 2007
Birmingham, AL
I'm still in the process of doing the rear disc and I got my upgraded master cylinder and booster in, but to get my old one out, I had to cut one of the brake lines. Its the one that's in the center on the bottom. The nut was stripped and I tried everything to get it off.

Anyways, what would ya'll do in this situation? My master cylinder now only has spots for 2 lines instead of 3.
I'm touching the line I'm talking about, kind of hard to see.

• Sponsors (?)

Well, two options.

Replace the line, or reflare the line. Replacing is easy. Just go to napa or whatever part store and get a straight piece of line and a tubing bender. 24" might work.

As for what to do with the 3rd line...did you buy a 3-2 port conversion kit? Or perhaps grab a non abs sn95 prop valve?

You might need a little more length on that line you cut but I'm not sure. When I did the conversion I gutted the stock PV then found an adapter piece to connect the third line to the PV. I think the 3-2 kit will work and give you some length for the cut line. You could always call MM and they'd tell you for sure.

MM website says the 3-2 kit is for 93 cobra, or 94-95 gt master cylinder.

My master cylinder is from a 99 v6, all the kits I see are for 93 cobra or 94-95 gt.

MM isn't open yet, I guess I'll give them a call when they open, but here is the list I think I need, not sure though. If I'm missing something let me know.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...age=product_info&cPath=49_145&products_id=688
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...age=product_info&cPath=49_145&products_id=687
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/s...age=product_info&cPath=49_140&products_id=673

Talked to MM, he said he's not sure if their 3-2 kit will work with a 99 MC because his paperwork only says what I posted earlier. He said go to an auto parts store and compare where the lines go into and make sure the thread pitch is the same. So I went to Napa and their system says it is the same so I went ahead and ordered what I had linked earlier.

Even if it doesn't work, they said I could return it as long as its in "like new" condition. I've never ordered anything from them, but they had excellent customer service.

Let me first say i do not know if this will work 100%...but i can offer a very educated guess.

The 99-04 V6 MC uses a 1" bore size like the 1993 Cobra MC

According to info I have here, the port sizes on the stock 87-93, 1993 Cobra, 1994-1995 GT are M10x1 for the primary fitting, and M12x1 for the secondary fitting.

There are TWO 99-04 V6 MC's...one for ABS and one for NON-ABS. The ABS modei is raybestos MC390518 and has the identical port sizes as the MC's above (so same as stock in terms of the two lines off the prop valve)

The NON-ABS model is different and uses both M10x1 on both ports. You could still use this, but you would have to use an adapter on the secondary port. You need an M12x1 female to M10x1 male adapter...which according to my tables of adapters does not exist. So you'd need to make custom lines. The raybestos p/n for the non-abs is M390525

So if your V6 MC is an ABS unit...then I beleive MMBAK-3 will work for you. However, you will need to replace that line you broke. I'd just bend up a premade line/ What i did for me 3-2 conversion.

My other question...what calipers are you running front and rear with the 1" MC??

Man, I hope I got the abs one.

As far as calipers, I don't know about the front, the previous owner did a 5 lug conversion, and the front has the powerslot rotors. As for the rear, its factory rear calipers from the 99' v6 I molested (got the whole rear end, MC, and brake booster for about $115).

But, I have the original MC from the 96' that was connected to the brake booster that you said wouldn't work because of the end that connects to the brake pedal. If that MC would work better, I can use it.

Edit: I just went and looked and the one MC I have has 2 different size ports, my stock lines fit them. So with that good news, is the 1" bore a bad MC?

Man, I hope I got the abs one.

As far as calipers, I don't know about the front, the previous owner did a 5 lug conversion, and the front has the powerslot rotors. As for the rear, its factory rear calipers from the 99' v6 I molested (got the whole rear end, MC, and brake booster for about $115).

But, I have the original MC from the 96' that was connected to the brake booster that you said wouldn't work because of the end that connects to the brake pedal. If that MC would work better, I can use it.

Edit: I just went and looked and the one MC I have has 2 different size ports, my stock lines fit them. So with that good news, is the 1" bore a bad MC?

The brake booster won't work...but the master cylinder will. That's a 1 1/16" bore MC

SO you have a 1" MC and a 1 1/16" MC. Both have the same port sizes so you cna use either. Which one highly depends on your front brakes.

If you have the 99-04 2-piston PBR's with 10.8" rotors...you want the 1" bore MC

If you have the 94-98 single piston steel caliper with 10.8" rotors....you are gonna want to use that 1996 1 1/16" MC

1996 V6 MC is identical to the 94-95 GT MC...so you can use that MM kit i recommended above...still need to repair that one line though.

If you aren't swapping the booster, you *MIGHT* be able to use the 1" V6 MC and use that instead. You'll gain some mechanical advantage, but also gain a longer stroke. you might not like it...so thats why i said might. I suggest swapping the booster over this though.

So your saying the 99' booster is fine, but depending on my front calipers, the pedal feel might be a little off because of the 1" MC?

When I get off work, I'll pull the tires off and check the calipers, what do I need to look for to verify which ones I have? (I have'nt changed the brakes since I've had this car).

If it comes down to it, I can go to the local pull a part and grab some different calipers.

Well, you really need to confirm front brake setup before I can offer advice. A pic would be best, but basically what is the rotor size? 11" or 13"? Is it single or two piston? Steel or aluminum?

Well go from there

Ok, will the spare 96 MC I have work?

If I do change to a 94-95 gt MC, or the 96, will my brake booster from the 99v6 that is already on there work with all these different MC's? (Changing MC's is easy, I just don't feel like messing with the brake booster again)

WOah...actually disregard what I just said.

That is a stock fox brake setup up front...but with svo rotors. That could be either the stock 60mm caliper or a 73mm caliper.

So your setup is gonna be unique. Do you want to keep it? Or go sn95??

You can leave your booster alone. No need to ever touch it now unless it fails. The mc swaps are pretty easy.

If those are 60mm stock calipers, then I'd try the 1" mc you have. The 66mm require the 1 1/16 so with the smaller pistons the 1" might give decent feel.

Of course that's if you want to keep it

I got everything put together, but had a couple of leaks. I know 1 is because I think I messed the flare up on the line I had to repair (first time using a flare tool), and the other was in the PV eliminator adaptor that joins the 2 lines together. It was leaking pretty good so I tightened it down, and just ruined the threads.

I'm going to napa this afternoon and I need to know a part # or what the fitting is called, all I know is 1 side is big, and 1 side is smaller.

And on that line I repaired, when I screwed it in to the 3-2 adaptor, it went all the way in, none of the other fittings did that. Is there a certain style fitting I need?