Need help with electrical (blowing fuses)

str8stang036

Dec 28, 2002
Miami
As some of you may know, I am finally at the point of starting the car. Yesterday I put a battery to it in 3years and it was great hearing the door open sound. I went to turn the key to the on acc position and I heard a fuse blow. The fuse that blew was from the inside fuse box, 20 amp. According to the mustang faq's, its the #18 fuse position- instrument cluster, transmission control switch, constant control relay moduel, ignition system. I replaced the fuse and tried again, and it blew again.

What could this be?
I haven't checked the starter relay because I don't know how.

Jose

• Sponsors (?)

I would start at your ignition switch. Look for shorted or chafed wiring.

Knowing why the car was down for 3 years might help too.

Good luck.

The car has been getting rebuilt from the ground up. Just about everything is new.
I have autometer gauges that I am using for the instrument cluster, not the autometer gauges that fit for our cars but a custom one I made. The ignition source for those gauges I got from below the ignition switch because it was convenient.

you think this may have something to do with it?

Wow, I apologize because I pretty much totally misread your first post on my first go-around. Sheesh.

I like your thinking. The safest method is to disconnect everything on the circuit and reconnect them one by one till you smoke your fuse. YOu can also disconnect items that you think are the most likely and reinstall the fuse and see if it doesnt blow. The second method isnt as safe since you are going to blow several fuses unless you get lucky. With the first method, a fuse will blow only once. There's less chance of fire this way. Your call though.

I really like your idea to check over that guage cluster (disconnect the power to it and see if the fuse remains intact).

Good luck, and again apologies for my misread and bad advice in the first post.

I checked the underhood fuse box and all the fuses are ok. I disconnected all the wires from the ignition source under the steering I am using for the autometer gauges. The fuse keeps blowing when I turn the key to run. don't know what it is.

How can I check the ccrm to make sure its still functional?

I doubt it's the CCRM. However, you can simply disconnect the CCRM electrical connector from the CCRM itself to see if it helps. Now if it's the wiring to the CCRM that has the short, disconnecting the E-connector will not help. You'd have to disconnect the leading edge of the red/lt grn wire (as it leaves fuse 18 and goes to CCRM Pin 13).

Good luck.

I found it!! Its a connector under the glove compartment box. Its sort of green or brown in color and about 1 sq inch. I cant mind the mate to it. The previous connector I had on it seems to be the wrong one, but I cant find anymore connectors of that shape and color. Can you check for me? I also don't know what systems it controls.

I found it!! Its a connector under the glove compartment box. Its sort of green or brown in color and about 1 sq inch. I cant mind the mate to it. The previous connector I had on it seems to be the wrong one, but I cant find anymore connectors of that shape and color. Can you check for me? I also don't know what systems it controls.

There is a lone connector down there for the air bag as I recall (it's grey though). Ensure this is not being connected to anything.

I will take a look for you - how many wires are in the connector? I have a ton of aftermarket parts under my passenger side dash so any specifics you can provide helps me find what you're lookin at without me having to rip a ton of stuff apart.

right below the glove compartment there is a hard tubing of wires that goes to the computer. Along that hard tubing is the two brown connectors I am talking about. One is closer to the middle of the glove compartment, the other towards the right closer to the computer.thanks for the help.

I believe that connector you are talking about just hangs there I just took out my airbags and I'm pretty sure I saw a connector just sitting there with no other connections I could be wrong.ALso check if its not the airbag connector