need help with mass air conversion on 86 gt!

86GT5speed

Sep 26, 2007
lynnwood, WA
okay so i have a A9L ecu out of a 88-89 t bird i think will this work i hear it will. also what do i need to do as far as wire harness? can i re pin my original? to ad the maf? and what other changes need to be made. i have the maf as well with a e9 casting on the sensor. lemme know

• Sponsors (?)

cool that exactly what i needed however 86 has a differant fuel sending unit. i know this because i did a dash swap on one before and a 88 dash has no way of reading fuel level with out changing the thing in the tank. so im wondering about that being an issue, and im not sure the relay exists under my drivers seat or not will the a9l ecu work? it wasnt list on there. my code is E9ZF-12A650-A2A not -aa. so its close but i dont know

okay i have the entire harness for mass air, but i ran into a problem. i think the O2 sensors on my 86 are 3 wire and i think the harness is for a 4wire o2 set up. i know the 88 vert has differant ones than the 86 i have, maybe it was just the connectors on the sensors i forget but theres 2 extra wires that are on this harnes where it plugs into the o2 harness so im think this ecu wont work with my sensors???? anyone actuall y done a conversion on a 86? theres alot of differant stuff on a 86 than the other years

There is another post about this 4th wire. The answer I saw was that the single ground on the O2 sensors gets flakey thus causing mixture issues. I thought it said in 94 they added a second ground wire. My 93 has 3 wires but you said this was out of a 88 so maybe it was hit and miss on each vehicle.

also i dont have the same wire color for the vss wire..i dont have a orange and yellow on the 8 pin connector i have a orange and light blue one. nor do i have a dark green and white wire i have a light green and orange one. switching the ntire harenss would have been alot quicker than repining this, but i repined it and added wires. i geuss ill just see if it works without the vss and fuel pump monitor signals. i know 86 has a differant fuel sending unit than 87 so it might not work right anyways. let me know what u think. im about to plug the cue in and see what happens

It should be running better. Did you make the necessary changes to the MAP sensor etc.? The A9L computer should work fine, but if you are going to the trouble of convertin to mass air, you might as well run a quality aftermarket MAF rather than the stock POS MAF units.

It should be running better. Did you make the necessary changes to the MAP sensor etc.? The A9L computer should work fine, but if you are going to the trouble of convertin to mass air, you might as well run a quality aftermarket MAF rather than the stock POS MAF units.

all i wassupposed to do was remove the vac line and plug the line its self right? i also tried a map that was on the e9 harness. is it running bad cus i didnt do the vss and fuel things?it says u dont need to usually if u have crusie control. also if the a9l is outa a non h.o. t bird is that going to be an issue? or maybe i just have 2 bad maf's??

The VSS and fuel pump monitor will not cause your poor performance problems. There was no VSS on cars made before 87 unless they had cruse control.

To find the source of your current poor running problems, dump the codes and see what the computer says is wrong…Codes may be present in the computer even if the Check Engine light isn’t on.

Here's the link to dump the computer codes with only a jumper wire or paper clip and the check engine light, or test light or voltmeter. I’ve used it for years, and it works great. You watch the flashing test lamp or Check Engine Light and count the flashes.

See http://www.troublecodes.net/Ford/

B.jpg

F.jpg

If your car is an 86-88 stang, you'll have to use the test lamp or voltmeter method. There is no functional check engine light on the 86-88's except possibly the Cali Mass Air cars.

attachment.php

89 through 95 cars have a working Check Engine light. Watch it instead of using a test lamp.

attachment.php

Codes have different answers if the engine is running from the answers that it has when the engine isn't running. It helps a lot to know if you had the engine running when you ran the test.

Trouble codes are either 2 digit or 3 digit, there are no cars that use both 2 digit codes and 3 digit codes.

For those who are intimidated by all the wires & connections, see http://www.actron.com/product_detail.php?pid=16153 for what a typical hand scanner looks like. Normal retail price is about $30 or so at AutoZone or Wal-Mart.

Or for a nicer scanner see http://www.midwayautosupply.com/pc-7208-90-equus-digital-ford-code-reader-3145.aspx – It has a 3 digit LCD display so that you don’t have to count flashes or beeps.. Cost is $30.