Need replacement ECU

Yea I heard they are easy to use but I wanted to reuse my chip I saved.
What will you do when you add a new modification? Pay to get another burn on that chip?
Or something happens and you get another project?
Or the chip takes a dump
Can you data log a chip to fine tune or find a problem?
Chips are so 1999, but this is just my opinion.
Using a chip is like posting pics with a Polaroid. Again, JMO.

Reactions: 1 users
  • Sponsors (?)

What will you do when you add a new modification? Pay to get another burn on that chip?
Or something happens and you get another project?
Or the chip takes a dump
Can you data log a chip to fine tune or find a problem?
Chips are so 1999, but this is just my opinion.
Using a chip is like posting pics with a Polaroid. Again, JMO.
I totally understand your point I just wanted to avoid having to find another tuner to dial it in unless it's easy enough to do myself being I never used one of these before. I figured I have the chip why not just go for the plug and play option.

Well, and this is me speaking and I have no dog in this hunt, in many threads since I have been hanging here I have seen many chips fail, causing problems that were hard to diagnose, they can't help you find an issue or adapt to modifications, the aftermarket ecu options are a far more economical choice. They data log, helping you resolve issues and can be moved from one vehicle to another without paying for a 'tune' or a 'tuner' because you are the 'tuner'.
But since you already have the chip, use it.

Reactions: 1 user
The micro squirt is looking like a better option the more I dig into this. My factory ECU is destroyed so by the time I buy a rebuilt one and hope my 10+ year old chip still works I could ditch both along with mass air meter and just install a MicroSquirt and have it autotune then play around with it.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users
I need a replacement A3M ECU. What are your experiences with buying replacements. Should I get one off EBAY or a reman at AutoZone or another parts store? I want to stick with the factory ECU because I have a custom chip for one or else I would go with a MicroSquirt.

Comment

What make you think that the ECU is damaged beyond simple repair?
Will it dump the codes?
See the Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

After seeing jrichker's post, I realized that an important question was not asked, what modifications, if any, that you feel a chip is needed?
I'm still an advocate for a quality aftermarket ecu but the stock computer that is functional can handle a fair amount of bolt on stuff without a chip. Again, JMO.

Trick Flow street heat upper and lower intake, custom cam (do not know specs), alum RPM heads with roller rockers, 42# injectors, equal legnth shory headers, larger throttle body and mass air meter with a power pipe air intake, MSD 6 AL box with a fireball coil.

My ECU

Attachments

• IMG_3787.JPG
    IMG_3787.JPG
    371.7 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3788.JPG
    IMG_3788.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3785.JPG
    IMG_3785.JPG
    459.4 KB · Views: 80
Trick Flow street heat upper and lower intake, custom cam (do not know specs), alum RPM heads with roller rockers, 42# injectors, equal legnth shory headers, larger throttle body and mass air meter with a power pipe air intake, MSD 6 AL box with a fireball coil.

My ECU
All that stuff and 42lb injectors? Yeah that prolly needed a chip.
And that ecu is kinda sketchy. :jester:
I believe that setup would have worked with 19's or maybe 24's without a chip, (With a properly functioning computer) but I'm no expert.
Disclaimer: this is jmo and not based on any real mechanical ability.

The "chip"

Is that Diablo's 4-bank chip?

And yeah... That is [the] worst ECU I have ever seen in all my years. :rlaugh:

Put a Stangnet sticker on it and frame it! LoL

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I need a replacement A3M ECU. What are your experiences with buying replacements. Should I get one off EBAY or a reman at AutoZone or another parts store? I want to stick with the factory ECU because I have a custom chip for one or else I would go with a MicroSquirt.

Comment
I am not sure if I should recommend this company or not. I purchased an ECU from from fs1inc.com (Flagship 1) that was reconditioned and reprogrammed for my VIN number. They were very courteous and helpful. The correct ECM arrived but with the wrong programming in it. I called and talked with them, filled out their RMA form that was to take 24-48 hrs to review. As of late yesterday (5 days later) it still isn't reviewed and the call I was to receive this morning from them has not happened.