Need some advice... 1996 GT Conv.

Jud

Sep 19, 2019
South Florida
1996 GT (Convertible)... appears my ignition key cylinder has now stopped working - cannot turn at all. Wiggling wheel and key do not help. Keys still opens all other locks (trunk, doors, glove - so not the keys). Car is in "Park". Want to replace cylinder and saw affordable replacement part (cylinder plus two keys) on American Muscle but now comes the issue of PATS . Understand that PATS 1 is on all 1996 -199? Was told by American Muscle Tech that my tuner buddy could disable PATS during a tune by turning off permanently and I would be able to use the replacement part they sell. Wondering if this is true so I can use affordable OEM replacment and save money by staying away from Ford dealer. I dont really care if PATS is enabled or not. Anyone do this to their car? Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

For 1996 model year there is a end user procedure to allow re-programming of a PATS key. The procedure is documented in the Ford service manual and must be followed EXACTLY. The procedure takes 45-60 minutes to perform. Make sure the battery is fully charged and on a trickle charge before starting the procedure.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

96-97 PATS key re-programming procedure

• Useful
Reactions: 1 user