Need some direction

MCalk

Jun 19, 2006
Florida
Hello all I'm new this site but plan on staying. I have found alot of useful information in these forums. So here we go. I have an 88 Ford Turbo coupe and I want to keep it a 4 cyl. I'm looking for some advice on what direction to go with this thing. I have a 3.73 rearend and an automatic. I'm going to stay with the automatic so I dont waste the boost with shifting.I also want to keep it as low budget as possible. I see people in here talking about putting a turbo from a Dodge cummings turbo desiel in there car and they are amazed at the results. I have a turbo, its a t60, but I think its probibly alittle much. Any input from someone who has done such an install or who ownes one of these cars please shed a little light on the subject. I really only want to spend around 2500. THe trans will be getting done sometime soon. I plan on staying with the AOD, but with a reverse manual/automatic valve body. I have a set of Cobra 18 inch wheels that will also be installed. I need tips, tricks and reliable sources for parts. Any help would be greatly appreiated

• Sponsors (?)

When you say you're looking to spend $2500, is that including the transmission rebuild?

Anyway, yes do definitely build your transmission, which BTW is not an AOD, it's an A4LD. The A4LD's are pretty weak in stock form so if you can get a performance rebuild it would be a good idea.

Also I don't know how much you're wanting to do, but I did a full engine rebuild plus some performance goodies (listed in my sig) for around $1500 or so. According to my gtech the car should be capable of 14's...I know it sure runs pretty damn good right now and I'm only running 16 psi. If you're keeping it low budget, you could keep the IHI for now as it's enough to get you to 250 hp. Look into getting a good exhaust also.

And finally, I highly recommend joining turboford.org and reading up!

Welcome to the insanity :nice:

cool thanks. yes your right about trans. No the 2500. doesnt include the trans. I have 2500. for the motor only. This will be a street car nothing insane but I do want the speed. 20 pounds of boost. I have aranged for the head work already thats gonna take up 1100. So the rest is for lower end, cam and whatever else I need to change.

$1100 for headwork? Jesus, that better be some top notch headwork...

Well that's definitely gonna cut into your funding for everything else. I hate to say it, but saying you're on a budget and then spending half your budget on headwork is fairly counterproductive...you won't have much room left in your budget for a lot of the other "hard parts" you'll need (for example, a Holset from a Cummins usually runs in the $400 neighborhood)