Need some EFI recommendations

Decurion

Sep 28, 2006
Livonia, MI
To start with, my goal is to put EFI in my 65 Comet. Its got a 3.55 gear, c4, 2500 stall converter. Engine is a 306 with trick flow stage 1 cam (~222 at .050, .515") and lightly ported windsor jr heads, long tube headers. Intake is undecided, but most likely explorer/gt40. stock H.O. cam, 1.7 rockers, mildly ported gt40s, shorty headers, port matched gt40 intake.

My question is what size do I need for:

a) fuel pump - 255lph sounds like the ticket

b) injectors - 24#

c) MAF meter - ???

d) throttle body - 65mm Explorer

Also, Ill most likely use a stock computer and have it tuned, but for those so enlightened, what would be the advantages of using MegaSquirt? I would imagine Ill build a stroker or boosted engine down the road, but not for some time.

• Sponsors (?)

A. 255LPH warlboro....can find them for $109 all day long, they can support something like 550HP I believe, if you plan on going past that...well, you will most likely crack the block first

B. I would probably go with 30lb or 36lb injectors....if I remember correctly 4 36lbers were enough to support 300WHP in my neon running a base fuel pressure of 55psi...in a v8 they should be enough to support 500?(correct me if my resoning is wrong here)

C. No clue, I hate MAF systems and refuse to work with them, so I just cant tell you

4. I would think 80 or 85mm should be sufficient(again, basing this off of experience from the neon) for 400HP

so i guess the answer is...what is the ultimate power goal you are looking for/currently make these parts change depending on what you need.

As for Megasquirt...it has many advantages....fully customizable tuning, no MAF sensor needed, open source code...however its not all fun and games...the learning curve is high if you are not used to programmable EFI systems....the software side is ...lets just say its real picky about having exactly the right files in exactly the right places....its easy once you get used to it...but getting used to it is frustrating, in all honesty, i used Megasquirt on the neon because there really was no other real option that didnt cost thousands of dollars, but you have a Ford....the Ford ecu has been hacked and there are several other tuners out there to interface with it....such as the Tweecer that are close to as good as MS that allow you to start with a keep a stock tune

I run a very similar setup in my 88 GT - Trickflow Stage1 cam, Ported GT-40 heads and intake, 331 bottom end.

a) Go with the 255 and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator

b) 19 are adequate, 24 are better. I currently run 19# with no issues, but could stand to upgrade to 24#

c) Pro-M 75 MM bullet or something similar. Pro-M is the best hands down.

d) Stock explorer is 65mm, so either that or 70mm would be fine. Any bigger would be a waste since the intake and heads would be your flow bottleneck.

I assume you are looking for a torquey, streetable setup with that cam, heads and intake. It is a very nice street setup. I routinely dispatch LS-1 camaros and get 25 MPG on the freeway.

Good luck :D

I run a B303, X3Z EEC, 70mm Maf, Cobra manifold, 24lb'ers, Gt40 heads in a '65 coupe set up f. roadrace, and it still turned a best of 14.0@104 w. 3.25 gears. Is very well behaved and fast, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Eric,

Just read this post today (catching up as I haven't been on here in a while). Anyway, I was able to get my car running over the weekend with an EFI conversion started two and half years ago. The swap didn't take that long, it's all the other stuff that life threw at me.

My setup is a 302 with Edelbrock Performers, TFS1 cam, Explorer intake, Explorer TB and 24lb injectors.

I run a 255lph Walbro external pump (packaged as a NOS brand).
80mm Pro M MAF (it's one of the big cast aluminum ones).
It's a five speed car, but I'm running on a stock A9P (automatic) computer right now. Also have a A9L.

What I did was recreate the engine combination that was in my FFR Cobra. It was a fast and bullet proof set up that ran 11.6's on street tires in that lightweight car. My '65 coupe weighs about 600lbs more.

Plan to have this one tuned and a chip burned.

Am local to you (Riverview) if you want to talk further or see what I did.

Jeff

To start with, my goal is to put EFI in my 65 Comet. Its got a 3.55 gear, c4, 2500 stall converter. Engine is a 306 with trick flow stage 1 cam (~222 at .050, .515") and lightly ported windsor jr heads, long tube headers. Intake is undecided, but most likely explorer/gt40.

My question is what size do I need for:

a) fuel pump

b) injectors

c) MAF meter

d) throttle body

Also, Ill most likely use a stock computer and have it tuned, but for those so enlightened, what would be the advantages of using MegaSquirt? I would imagine Ill build a stroker or boosted engine down the road, but not for some time.

From your setup it sounds like I can just get what I need from the junkyard. I like that! I happened to find a couple sites that may be of use to anyone running fuel injection, though they are intended for fox-bodied Mustangs. Looks like I can just go right for the MKVIII injectors and mass air meter, while using the Explorer intake and throttle body. My thrifty sense is tingling!

Junkyard Horsepower SUMMARY! - Corral Forums
Stan Weiss' - Electronic Fuel Injector (EFI) Flow Data Table

Heres the progress on my cylinder heads so far:
http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/1strealjeep/Windsor Jr heads/?start=all

From your setup it sounds like I can just get what I need from the junkyard. I like that! I happened to find a couple sites that may be of use to anyone running fuel injection, though they are intended for fox-bodied Mustangs. Looks like I can just go right for the MKVIII injectors and mass air meter, while using the Explorer intake and throttle body. My thrifty sense is tingling!

Junkyard Horsepower SUMMARY! - Corral Forums
Stan Weiss' - Electronic Fuel Injector (EFI) Flow Data Table

Heres the progress on my cylinder heads so far:
Windsor Jr heads pictures by 1strealjeep - Photobucket

I don't believe it's quite that simple--in order for it to work, you have to have several things if you're using an EEC-IV ECM (real high-level overview):

1.) You have to have some type of method for tuning the car the ECM (TwEECer, Quarter Horse, etc.), that you can use to input the parameters for the components
2.) You have to have the data for the components (i.e.: MAF curve, injector specs, etc.)
3.) You will need to know *where* to input the data for the components within the binaries for the ECM

You might find it useful to spend some time over at EECTuning.org • Index page, and browse around the posts there . . . LOTS of good info regarding this stuff there.

When I said MK8 injectors and MAF, I meant 24lb injectors and 80mm mass air meter. It just so happens the MK8 uses those, so Ill source them that way rather than spending ~$600 on new ones, I can spend maybe $50 for both. It may not be an ideal setup to run with a stock A9(x) computer, but Im hoping it will run well enough that it wont NEED to be tuned just to be driveable. For example, a guy I worked with built a stout 347 for his 1990 Mustang using 36lb injectors, 80mm MAF, spyder intake, ported Edelbrock heads, and a solid roller cam with about 245*@.050 and .580 lift. He said it definitely made more power after tuning, but ran great and had no driveability problems before.

When I said MK8 injectors and MAF, I meant 24lb injectors and 80mm mass air meter. It just so happens the MK8 uses those, so Ill source them that way rather than spending ~$600 on new ones, I can spend maybe $50 for both. It may not be an ideal setup to run with a stock A9(x) computer, but Im hoping it will run well enough that it wont NEED to be tuned just to be driveable. For example, a guy I worked with built a stout 347 for his 1990 Mustang using 36lb injectors, 80mm MAF, spyder intake, ported Edelbrock heads, and a solid roller cam with about 245*@.050 and .580 lift. He said it definitely made more power after tuning, but ran great and had no driveability problems before.

I have a 98 Explorer shortblock, into which I installed a CompCams XE258HR camshaft, and installed a set of AFR 165 heads. I orignally was runing a Holley Street Avenger 770 on a Weiand X-Celerator single plane intake, and I recently converted over to the original Explorer intake with no EGR, using an Edelbrock 70mm TB.

I found a great deal on E-Bay for a brand new FRPP 90mm Lightning MAF and a set of brand new FRPP 39lb injectors--I paid something like $210 shipped.

I'm using an A9M ECM with a TwEECer, and I can tell you from my experience that the engine won't even start with this combination--I had to enter adjustments for the MAF, the injector specifications, and then I had to change the cranking fuel as well.

With what I now know about these ECM's, my guess is that the MAF's and injectors to which you referred are enough different from what is contained within the original ECM binary that you would have to do the same thing (or, get a chip burned).

Once I got all that changed, of course it would start and run well . . .

You might consider trying to find a FRPP 90mm Lightning MAF, because they're relatively low priced (I've seen them for as low as $100 at seferal places on the web), they have well documented data (their MAF curve is included in at least two different software tuning packages I've seen), and best of all--you get a warranty on it.

You might even get as lucky as me and find a new set of injectors at a really good price, too.

Just some food for thought . . . more info about what I've mentioned is over at EECTuning.org

:nice:

I picked up some 24# injectors, but Im not sure if theyre interchangable or not. Both are blue top from 32 valve 4.6s, but they have different part numbers. One is F55E-A2E, the other F2LE-B2A. I did a quick search and found a few references of people using the F55Es, but almost nothing on the F2LEs. Is it ok to mix and match?

Also, for what its worth Ive finally decided on a setup, and Im using ported f3ze heads and shorty headers with a stock H.O. cam, instead of whats listed above.