Need some suspension help....

Dark Knight GT

I can't get it up......ok that didn't sound right.
May 26, 2003
Ozark, Missouri
Ok. I've decided I'm going to go a bit of a different route in my suspension than what I was before.

Before, I was going to install a set of QA1 adjustable struts w/ a UPR Coil over kit, and a set of 14' 175lb springs. On the rear, I was going to install a set of QA1 12 way adjustable shocks with a Granatelli Motorsport rear-coil over kit with a street spring (10in. 300lb).

Now that the time has come to do it, I've changed my mind, especially after all of the things I've read, seen, and heard. Let me explain.

First, the GMS kit is not going to work with the QA1 shocks because the GMS rear coil over kit is designed for a shock that has a 1.6 approx. diameter, and the QA1's have around a 1.8 diameter. Thus, I would have to grind off around a 1/4 inch of the shock for it to work, and I don't think the walls are thick enough to support this much grinding. Plus, the QA1's are made in China, and if I can avoid foreign made parts, I will. Not only this, but I think the Granatelli Motorsports parts are made in China as well. I swear, you can't find anything American made anymore.

Second, after reading some of the threads on here, and over at Modular Depot, I've come to the conclusion that the QA1 adjustable struts are NOT for road handling, or for the daily driver that frequently sees bumps and harsh turns. They're a drag race strut, and lots of compression from daily driving can cause them to blow. This seems to have happened to a lot of people, and I don't want to have a set of struts that blows not long after putting them in.

As for the UPR coil-over kit with 14' 175lb spring, I was thinking it would be stiff enough for street use, but after reading some threads of people having a harsh ride over bumps with a 225lb spring, I've decided the 175lb springs are probably too soft for any kind of sharp turning, or for daily driving over bumps.

I figure I will sell all of these parts, and start out with a new setup in terms of coil overs, struts, and shocks.

Anyhow, here is what I was thinking about doing. Since I'm going to only see the track on the occassional blue moon, and since I want a better handling ride on the street, and since I REALLY want American made products, I was thinking the Edelbrock shocks and struts would be a good choice, and perhaps maybe investing in the Maximum Motorsports coil over setup ?

Right now, I've got a UPR K-member and UPR matching A-arms that I intend to use. It is American made, and it is made of Chromoly, which should hold up to street use, and it's lighter than stock. I've also got a set of Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates, and Maximum Motorsport bump steer kit waiting to go in. As for my control arms, in case if you're curious I'm running UPR double adjustable uppers, and Maximum Motorsport lowers.

What do you guys think ? What size spring and rating should I run for a coil over kit ? Also, do you guys recommend the Maximum Motorsport kit, or does Edelbrock make one for their struts and shocks ? Any input is appreciated, and I'm trying to stick to American made parts. Sorry if that seems old fashioned, but I'm trying to help the country's economy. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

tomustang said:
Damnit DK, I told you to forget the rest and just go MM for road racing
Yeah, well, I hadn't thought everything through at that point in time.

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to keep the QA1 stuff that I have, especially since it's not on the car. Although I would like an adjustable set of shocks and struts, still, my car will only see the drag strip once every blue moon, and the rest of the time it will be a street car that, and thus, I should build it more for handling than drag strip purposes.

I'm also pretty sure I won't be keepign the Granatelli Motorsport rear-coil kit, as it is made in China, and I wasn't aware of that until AFTER I purchased the damn thing.

The setup I'm looking into is Edelbrock race shocks and struts with possibly the Maximum Motorsport coil over kit, assuming it would work with the Edelbrock stuff.

Any more input is appreciated, and thanks for the replies.

isnt the UPR K member done in china as well? i thought i remember hearing that a while back.

If you are wanting to have both handeling and the option to drag then like tom said tokico, or my suggestion being the Koni line. the koni shocks are better made in my opinion... and would have gone that route had i not wanted the bilsteins i have now. i wouldnt bother with the edelbrock dampeners only because if you are going to be using the MM coilover setup you should probably use the combo that MM suggests. any grinding or alterations you have to do to the units will lessen the strength of the unit, its just best sticking with packaged items.

also, its nice to see that you are trying to stick to american products, and thats great, but you will need to step out of the USA for your shocks/struts/springs. everything else you can get from the MM buildhouse. koni and tokico are both foreign, and even though bilstein is a name brand on alot of american cars its from germany.. and regaurded as the best non adjustable shock on the market.

just some thing to think about.

Torinalth

Torinalth said:
isnt the UPR K member done in china as well? i thought i remember hearing that a while back.
It "might" be NOW, but the one I have is the one that came off of Bill Putnams car, and it's a few years old, but still in great shape. Same for the A-arms.
If you are wanting to have both handeling and the option to drag then like tom said tokico, or my suggestion being the Koni line.
I've looked into the Koni's, and I do like the idea of how adjustable they are, and how well recommended they are, but the price explains how "proud" Koni is of their products.
the koni shocks are better made in my opinion... and would have gone that route had i not wanted the bilsteins i have now.
I've heard this as well from others. Koni seems to be the "best" in terms of opinions for an adjustable setup, it's just their expensive, AND I know they're foreign made. Where exactly are they made ? Does anyone know ?
i wouldnt bother with the edelbrock dampeners only because if you are going to be using the MM coilover setup you should probably use the combo that MM suggests.
I'm sure I would use the combo that MM would suggest, especially in regards to spring sizing and rates.
any grinding or alterations you have to do to the units will lessen the strength of the unit, its just best sticking with packaged items.
If the MM kit would fit the Edelbrocks without any grinding, or alterations, then I would be all over that deal. I guess the only way to know for sure is probably to call them, and ask.
also, its nice to see that you are trying to stick to american products, and thats great, but you will need to step out of the USA for your shocks/struts/springs.
Doesn't Maximum Motorsports make their parts in America ? I know say on their site they do. Do they make their own springs, or are those by another company ?
koni and tokico are both foreign, and even though bilstein is a name brand on alot of american cars its from germany.. and regaurded as the best non adjustable shock on the market.
Yeah, I'm aware koni and tokico are both foreign made, and I know that Bilstein is a German compnay, hence, the name "Bilstein", which is German.

I'll probably call Maximum Motorsports, and talk things over with them, just to see what they say. Thanks for all the help, and if anyone has any input, please share. Thanks again.

I agree that you're probably gonna have to go outside the U.S. for dampeners and the like. From what I've heard in the past Edelbrock needs to stick to powertrain components (the shocks are all that). I've had Koni before and absolutely loved them, but like you said they're very proud of their product. I've currently got KYB AGXs which are 4-way (front) and 8-way (rear)adjustable. I don't think they're quite as good as the Konis but for the price they're awesome :nice:

MM has all their gear made in america, they do outsource others for certain items. hypercoil makes their coilover springs to their specs, Bilstein has MM spec shocks and struts available, Konig has MM spec wheels, and things like that. they do not make their own springs, they use HR (german) for seperate springs, and hypercoil for coilover springs (though i think HC is USA?).

i really think you are reading too much into things for most of the items you are trying to hammer out. and the US vs World mentality is not very good for this field of purchases. you really have to work hand in hand to get the best stuff available. MMs best setup is german and american made. just something to think about. If you are not going to be constantly playing with the adjustments to get a certain spec for each day you drive the mustang i'd honestly just get non adjustables like the Bilsteins. awesome dampener, and always running strong, and best of all MM makes a bilstein specific coilover setup... oh, and dont forget CC plates.

Torinalth

tomustang said:
Why are you so torn on the edelbrock shocks? were you sold on their shock asorbing advertisement? because in theroy every shock does it
Because it is an American Made Aftermarket shock that offers better handling over the stock shock.

I'm very torn about the foreign made parts. It annoys the living piss out of me, but I guess that is the direction this nation is heading in.
oh, and dont forget CC plates.
I've already got Maximum Motorsport Caster Camber plates, and their Bump steer kit waiting to go in. :nice:

Dark Knight GT said:
Because it is an American Made Aftermarket shock that offers better handling over the stock shock.

I'm very torn about the foreign made parts. It annoys the living piss out of me, but I guess that is the direction this nation is heading in.
but your Mustang is mostly made from out of States products anyway, the steel is one of them, most of our steel comes from Japan. Some electronics (Bosch) in the mustang are euro (Germany), and even if you want american made we import the product (like plastic) and some immigrant, maybe even illegal from mexico, is forming the molding parts in a contracted though Ford in processing plants

Even the company Bostik (UK), the company that has the contract from Ford that creates the glue for underneith your ass when you sit down in your mustang, the foam padding adheisive to the seat cover is ordered out of country and ground in the US by a Columbian who runs the machine (who i know)

tomustang said:
but your Mustang is mostly made from out of States products anyway, the steel is one of them, most of our steel comes from Japan. Some electronics (Bosch) in the mustang are euro (Germany), and even if you want american made we import the product (like plastic) and some immigrant, maybe even illegal from mexico, is forming the molding parts in a contracted though Ford in processing plants

Even the company Bostik (UK), the company that has the contract from Ford that creates the glue for underneith your ass when you sit down in your mustang, the foam padding adheisive to the seat cover is ordered out of country and ground in the US by a Columbian who runs the machine (who i know)
You make a valuable point.......

I guess I might have to settle for the German engineering then. I'll think about it.

If you're not going to open track much, why go with the coil over's? Just get springs and some 5ways. The Illuminas are the best choice if you're factoring in performance and price. This combo should work well on the street, along with your MM caster/cambers, control arms etc. If you "require" more performance, and money is no object, get the MM setup all the way. K-member, CA's Bilsteins and coil overs.
You already made your best move by staying away from the QA 1 and GMS stuff.

hicalibrbulit said:
If you're not going to open track much, why go with the coil over's? Just get springs and some 5ways. The Illuminas are the best choice if you're factoring in performance and price. This combo should work well on the street, along with your MM caster/cambers, control arms etc. If you "require" more performance, and money is no object, get the MM setup all the way. K-member, CA's Bilsteins and coil overs.
You already made your best move by staying away from the QA 1 and GMS stuff.
The reason why I'm going to coil overs is because.....

1. Weight savings.
2. I've already got the UPR K-member and matching a-arms, which does NOT have spring perches.
3. Adjustability in terms of ride height. Can't do this with stock style spring setup.
4. Better handling. Coil overs just offer better handling all around over the stock style spring setup.

Yeah, I think I did make the best decision by deciding not to use QA1 or GMS stuff, as I've heard some negative things about them, but nothing negative about MM, Koni, or Bilstein.

I'm thinking about going with the MM coil over kit on the front and back with Koni's, but not sure if I should use single adjustables, or double adjustables. I mean, they're expensive, but probably well worth the money.